Song Feedback - why is my mix so muddy and quiet?

ApolloDam

Hey guys, I am new to producing and am working my second song. For some reason, it is quieter compared to other songs. The mids seem muddy and the bass is not strong. My last song was much louder and clearer, with strong bass. I do not think that I did anything differently in the production process. I am using Ableton and Serum for the synths. Any feedback on adjustments I can make is appreciated!

I can not yet post links but if you search the song title on soundcloud it will come right up!

Starlight Eyes by Apollo

Thank you!

Depends It could be a lot of things in the context of a mix or just the quality of sounds that you might be using.

If the mids are muddy try cutting out some 400HZ on each instrument a few dB. This this may not seem like it does a lot on one instrument but over several channels you’ll notice a difference.

Make sure that bass isn’t interfering with the kick too much-if it is then cut out some frequencies of the bass or vice versa depending on what your going for in the low end. Recently I’ve been side chaining my kick and bass

Pan instruments to give some width to your mix.

Last but not least reference your last track that you liked and use that as a guide line to get your mix on par with it.

Last edited:
Back