So you want to change your time signature?

jaysummers75

Jay Summers
:4theloveofgod:

So here I am with my DAW which is currently Ableton Live 9 standard(full version). What I like about the program is that for me it is easy to use, but there is a couple of flaws that I have found, and thought maybe you guys could help. For one, when I input my plugin for my drum software(Superior 2.0 New York edition), it doesn't allow me to name the notes after the drums in the DAW. So... I have to remember that C1 is the kick.. etc.... Does anyone else have this problem? Another thing I had a question about is this: I like to change time signatures a lot, and I mean... A LOT maybe every 2 or 4 measures or so.... What I HAVE BEEN DOING is setting up four different drum tracks(in stereo of course) in my project. Once I have them all, I name them to the corresponding time signature that I want to use them for. So let's say I make a time signature change from 4/4 to 7/8 at the 6 measure. My 4/4 drums on the grid will show drums being played from the 1st to the 6th measure, however, when the 7/8 time signature comes about, it is the second set of drums that triggers via the grid. I start the 1st measure of the 7/8 phrase at the ending of the last 4/4 measure. Make sense so far? ... BUT.... the numbers are all functified, Since 7/8 would equal 1+2+3+4 (taking the and out.), and the 4/4 phrase having 6 measures... we are talking about my 7/8 phrasing starting on some crazy ass number on the grid. Does anyone else have a better method than this? I know that I can trigger drums some how, but I can't start both drum tracks on the grid because Ableton is setup to be sample based. I know this sounds kind of mixed up and crazy... and it is.

Any help?

~J

In session view you can just change the name of the scene, EG. "4/4 65 bpm Intro" etc. or you can change the actual time signature in several clips on the same track. You can simply change the signature in the bottom left corner of each clip window to what ever you want and then add them all into arrangement view however you want.
In arrangement view, you need to add a annotation by right clicking along the top of the grid and put the desired time signature and/or bpm in the note, EG. "4/4 65 bpm Intro" etc.

Does it make sense? The time signature of the scene will change when you change the name of it to for example 6/4, and the tempo for that scene will change when you add for example 80 bpm after it. You name the scenes above the master channel on the mixer. No need to create several tracks.

I'm not sure if I got your question right, I got a little confused with all the measures and what not.

Last edited:

In session view you can just change the name of the scene, EG. "4/4 65 bpm Intro" etc. or you can change the actual time signature in several clips on the same track. You can simply change the signature in the bottom left corner of each clip window to what ever you want and then add them all into arrangement view however you want.
In arrangement view, you need to add a annotation by right clicking along the top of the grid and put the desired time signature and/or bpm in the note, EG. "4/4 65 bpm Intro" etc.

Does it make sense? The time signature of the scene will change when you change the name of it to for example 6/4, and the tempo for that scene will change when you add for example 80 bpm after it. You name the scenes above the master channel on the mixer. No need to create several tracks.

I'm not sure if I got your question right, I got a little confused with all the measures and what not.

As I appreciate your detailed explanation, that wasn't my question. I already know how to change time signatures in Ableton. Relating to time signatures, my question was: When I am inputting a third party drum software it takes up a midi track, and that particular track can only be in ONE TIME signature. I have to continue to keep making midi tracks(for the drums) when the time signature changes. For instance, I have 4/4 drums, 7/8 drums, 5/4 drums etc... they all are separate tracks in my DAW, because you can't change ONE 3RD PARTY DRUM TRACK to reflect the change in time signature. The result is that the grid gets confusing when finding out WHERE to start a measure back into 4/4 after a 7/8 phrase has been completed. The grid numbers change because of the time signature difference, so while I am sure about the 4/4 drum track and where it starts and ends, it becomes increasingly difficult to come back to it after a 7/8 time signature phrase. I hope that I am explaining this right, I am sorry if I am not being clear, but do you know of anyway to simplify this?

Last edited:
As I appreciate your detailed explanation, that wasn't my question. I already know how to change time signatures in Ableton. Relating to time signatures, my question was: When I am inputting a third party drum software it takes up a midi track, and that particular track can only be in ONE TIME signature. I have to continue to keep making midi tracks(for the drums) when the time signature changes. For instance, I have 4/4 drums, 7/8 drums, 5/4 drums etc... they all are separate tracks in my DAW, because you can't change ONE 3RD PARTY DRUM TRACK to reflect the change in time signature. The result is that the grid gets confusing when finding out WHERE to start a measure back into 4/4 after a 7/8 phrase has been completed. The grid numbers change because of the time signature difference, so while I am sure about the 4/4 drum track and where it starts and ends, it becomes increasingly difficult to come back to it after a 7/8 time signature phrase. I hope that I am explaining this right, I am sorry if I am not being clear, but do you know of anyway to simplify this?

So your problem is with a 3rd party plugin that has an in-built sequencer, and you can't make it reflect the time signature change in Live? I don't think there's anything wrong with your explanation of the problem at hand, just my inability to grasp the concept. As I tend not to fiddle around with time signatures the way I think you do, I can't say I have experienced this issue. My time signature changes behave the way I expect them to and so you'll have to forgive me if I seem a little dumb regarding this subject.

I will open up my Live when I get back home and fiddle around with time signatures and different tracks in order to try and replicate your problem and get a better view if it.

Last edited:
Ok so I came home and I have been fooling around with a project in Live, using different time signatures and what not. Once I got my clips from session to arrangement I started having some grid issues as well. But then again I don't think it's all that much of a problem, I suppose it's just how time signatures work. If you have a 6/8 time signature, it's going to need 6 beats instead of the normal 4 or 8, so your arrangement will look a little messy.. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help to you.

Cheers and good luck

HA!!! I have figured it out!! Okay... check this out... for my first question.... You have to create a drum rack right? Then after that, you setup your 3rd party plugin (w/e you use), THEN, set it to output to that drum rack. You have to first put samples in the drum rack to reference to, but you mute the drum rack and the 3rd party comes through on the grid, then you just place notes on the grid and name them accordingly on the drum rack... BAM... you have an organized drum set. The second question is easier......you add scenes within the track and change the time signature within the scene, then set it up to change at the designated measure. DUDE.... Awww man... finally figured this out... I was making tracks with 150+ tracks... now I can just use 1 lol.... that was some crazy shit. lol.

Thanks for trying to help me out guys, but I think I finally figured it out.

~J

I'm glad you figured it out! Maybe it was the active question that drove you to find the answer!

Back