Simulating Guitar Feedback in FL

D

DannyGantastic

I've been trying to simulate the sound of guitar feedback for a synthesizer in Fruity, but haven't had any success thusfar.

How might I go about this?

I reason that the sequence of events that causes guitar feedback has a synth analogy:
Plucked string->Pickups->Distortion->Amplifier->Back to pickups.
becomes
Oscillator->Filters/FX/Etc->Back to Filters/FX/Etc.

However, there's no way I can really simulate this with the synths available to me with Fruity's FX routing (I understand that the JP8080 has a feedback oscillator; any idea how this works?), so what I'm really after is just how to simulate the *sound* of feedback rather than actually inducing feedback.

Any suggestions?

Find the pitch you want and then just slowly crank up the volume to simulate the growing feedback?? <shrugs>

if you take 2 different reverb plugins,(fruityreeverb and vax reverb)and set them to 0% room and then crank the delay on both, you will get so much feedback fruity freezes. lol.

yea, i know you want to know how to actually create the feedback not start it. do you own soundforge? if so, you can use its own sine synthesis to give you a flat tone much like feedback starts.

:edit::

ok, i figured out how.. its really easy. you take a flat sine tone. as low as you can make it and have it still be audible. it has to be constant. make it about 20 seconds long
Now make another sine tone, except this time give it a really high frequency, also at 20 seconds. Now copy the high pitched tone right click the low one and select crossfade... now turn your speakers down and listen. its feedback! after that add some distortion, filters, an envelop and you could even crossfade a differnt tone towards the end to emulate the pitch changes you get when moving the guitar around.

happy fx'ing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sine wave ideas worked marvelously -- Much thanks =). I was expecting the feedback's sound to vary with the source of the sound, but just using a sine wave was sufficient.

Thanks for the suggestions!

sure no problem. always eager to help:D sometimes i learn things too. lol

Back