Simple things make a big difference

russo

I wish I new these 3 things when I was first starting off..

1. Hi-Pass Filter on anything that doesn't have any bass
2. Really EXPLORE the possibilities there are with an EQ (AND DON'T JUST USE ONE TYPE OF EQ)
3. Compression serves a specific purpose.. if your track doesn't need a compressor, don't use one!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

I never high pass by default because of the phasing that happens you can really destroy your low end.. Other than that I agree..

Interesting! I've never really ran into phasing issues with a hi-pass. Can you elaborate? Maybe I'm just listening for the right thing when I do this?

Highpass filter on EVERYTHING, adjust accordingly. A spectrum analyzer is your best friend.
Use more subtractive EQ than addition
Multiband Comps are secret weapons
Get out of the box

It's widely popular to always Hi-pass vocals, so theres no conflict with your low-end (kick/bass), and to open a little space by denting your lead instrument around 2000/3000 Hz, for the vocal to pop out of your mix easier.

In the end, its a personal preference, and you can apply cutting frequencies to your own taste.
I usually do not cut frequencies unless I know they are going to be a problem.

If you are not sure about which frequencies could clash (or which are clashing in your mix), you can always search Google for "EQ Frequency Chart"
Just dont cut things because everyone else does it. It might delete that feel to your track that you are missing in the end. :)

Back