Sidechain settings for trap

Sensus

Hello guys,

I recently started producing trap, can anyone advise me how to use sidechain in trap? Do the leads have to be sidechained to the kick? And what are the best setting like attack, release time, etc? Thanks :)

People talk on the forums all the time about sidechaining the 808 kick with the main short kick. But I will be honest with you, of all the trap records I've mixed, I've never done it. And that's a lot of records. I'm not saying it's a flawed technique - if it sounds good, it is good. But I will say that it is OFTEN (but not always) used as a shortcut that frequently leads to a comprimised sound. You've got all these internet beatmakers who don't know how to balance and how to EQ and how to compress very well. So they throw their hands up and just sidechain it. I strongly suggest you not use sidechaining as a crutch and just learn how to do things balance and EQ and compress. You will be FAR better off in the long run and the vast majority of the time your stuff will sound better. Save the sidechaining trick for the times when it's REALLY necessary.

People talk on the forums all the time about sidechaining the 808 kick with the main short kick. But I will be honest with you, of all the trap records I've mixed, I've never done it. And that's a lot of records. I'm not saying it's a flawed technique - if it sounds good, it is good. But I will say that it is OFTEN (but not always) used as a shortcut that frequently leads to a comprimised sound. You've got all these internet beatmakers who don't know how to balance and how to EQ and how to compress very well. So they throw their hands up and just sidechain it. I strongly suggest you not use sidechaining as a crutch and just learn how to do things balance and EQ and compress. You will be FAR better off in the long run and the vast majority of the time your stuff will sound better. Save the sidechaining trick for the times when it's REALLY necessary.
Thanks for your reply, I actually made a trap track once before, I didnt use sidechain on the drop, but tbh I just forgot it and then realized it when reopened the project :D But it sounded really cool without sidechain. Thats why I got a bit confused. So do you think loads of famous trap records out there dont have sidechain?

the only things I side chain really when it comes to anything, are pads and subs. It's too prominent to use on a lead, unless you're looking for that specific kind of sound. but in a lot of songs that use it, it just sounds like they weren't really trying and just threw a side chain.

Back