sidechain effect caused by the kick when using multiband compressor

Alex Golodenko

Hello all,
Currently trying to create some synthwave music in FL studio.
When i add a Fruity multiband compressor to the Master track, i noticed that the kick causes a sidechain effect on my arps, melodies etc.
Is it normal? and how to get rid of this effect? when I listen to the whole thing and switch off the kick the sidechain disappears.
I have almost no idea about mastering and mixing so any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

If you use heavy compression on the whole track it's often the kick (one of the loudest elements) that triggers the compressor and brings down the volume of everything else too, causing the pumping effect. Either use less aggressive settings, exclude the low end from compression or compress it separetely. What settings are you using? Because with multiband compressor this should generally be less of a problem because you compress low end and high end separately, unless you use very wide bands and the lower band includes a lot of mid-range.

Last edited:
If you use heavy compression on the whole track it's often the kick (one of the loudest elements) that triggers the compressor and brings down the volume of everything else too, causing the pumping effect. Either use less aggressive settings, exclude the low end from compression or compress it separetely. What settings are you using? Because with multiband compressor this should generally be less of a problem because you compress low end and high end separately, unless you use very wide bands and the lower band includes a lot of mid-range.
I used the settings that Timecop showed in his video tutorial ?????? ?????? (14).png
Tried to make the kick more quiet and it helped pretty much, but dont understand why Timecop doesn`t have such problem in his video. Thank you for your advice!

It sounds like you may need to bypass compressing the Low frequencies dominated by the Kick. If you High-passed the other instruments then in most cases the low end doesn't need a lot of compression, just dial in the gain/volume of the kick. You could also try & reduce the Ratio on the Low band on the M.B. Compressor or increase the threshold db's. Over compression can caused by a lot of different factors just keep dialing in the low band of the Multi-band compressor or reduce the gain. Hope this helped.

It sounds like you may need to bypass compressing the Low frequencies dominated by the Kick. If you High-passed the other instruments then in most cases the low end doesn't need a lot of compression, just dial in the gain/volume of the kick. You could also try & reduce the Ratio on the Low band on the M.B. Compressor or increase the threshold db's. Over compression can caused by a lot of different factors just keep dialing in the low band of the Multi-band compressor or reduce the gain. Hope this helped.
Wow, thanks! I had a OTT compressor on my kick to make more tight, I removed it and just used the EQ 2, changed the settings in M.B. Comp and it sounds better now!

Back