Side Chaining (or ducking by any sort of method)

feral_fox

I've been looking at tutorials on how to sidechain to create the effect of ducking within FL studio. Also how to use automation within FL studio.

The next thing I'm a bit stuck on is when to use this effect.

I think the obvious time to use this is through typical dance music which has fairly constant beats/ a constant bass line.

But what about electronic music genres such as Grime or Original UK dubstep. It seems to me that the beats and bass line are much less regular and don't always overlap each other so there won't be conflicting frequencies.

Should ducking even be used during the simple "Wubs" used in UK dubstep?

Honestly, I mostly use this technique with the kick drum and bass to help the kick drum stand out a little more. I don't always use it, but when I do it's not extreme. So you won't get that pumping effect.

Go by ear, don't do things because you "have" to do them. It will make sense when you need to use it after you use it for a while.

ive even sidechained sounds to breaks... the best time is to is with the kick and snares, but mostly the kick, because you dont want too many low range frequencies stacking on top of each other or you get this clipping / distortion sound. i sidechain w/ every genre i make, it just depends on what and when.

I’ll use side chaining when there’s instruments competing with each other in the same frequency area. More often than not it’ll be the kick and bass that will get this effect. It works good, but keep it subtle unless you’re going for a certain effect.

There are plugins for sidechain type of effect if you dont want to do the actual sidechaining. Kickstart, LFO tool, Volumeshaper. for example.

Sidechaining the input from other sources is how that works.
Sidechain controller goes into the sidechain input, that then process to apply the adjustments in realtime depending on what settings you use.

Subtle sidechaining, is also a good mixing technique for kick & Bass equipment.

Back