Shure SM7b What the heck!!!!!!

P

PushinKeys

Whats all the hype about this mic!!!! It looks like a broadcasting mic but is said to be one of the best vocals mics out in any price range. If i saw this at a music store I would walk past it and not look twice.

But I really want to hear a track that was recorded with this mic. Is it really that good. Does it stand up to the nuemans high-end AT's ???? Massive I read a couple of your post standing by this mic. I really wanna hear something

The Sm7b is used extremely frequently in broadcasting due to the deep bass response and all around warm character. I have seen many more Re20s than I have Sures and I prefer the Re20 over the SM. BUT, the SM is a VERY solid mic both in the broadcast studio and recording studio. The Sm7 is also much more affordable. If your on a tight budget, want a mic with a deep response and a solid vocal 'all arounder'... the SM7b is what you need.

I *wish* there was hype about this mic here... :monkey:

Personally, I don't have anything I have rights to that I can solidly say was a 7. But listen to anything on St. Anger - You might notice that the only thing that actually sounded decent on the entire record was the vocal - which were all scratch track - screamed directly into a SM7b - usually with *no* windscreen.

It's really weird and something I don't really understand -- Things like using LDD's on vocals are typical all over in pretty much every genre -- Except HH & rap (where arguably, they'd be the most obvious choice).

Aye, the SM7 is delightful. I do a lot of re-recording classic songs purely to practise recording, mic techniques/choice, and ultimately mixing.
On this track 'You will you wont', i used an SM7 on the backing 'spoken' vocal. The lower toned vocal that is almost spoken behind the lead vocals. I hope you can get an understanding with this, ideally it would have been used on the lead so you could hear a bit better.

P.S. My Mixing sucks, hence i re-record to practise :D

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=19B9DF5371484D19

*remove spaces from you send it for link to work*

Play on VLC media player or import to DAW, doesnt seem to work on WMP

Last edited by a moderator:
Back