Session Management & Archives

G

How do you all handle session management? Whats your grace period for clients to retrieve the master session off your computer before deletion?

Do you delete?
Archive & backup to Disk?

Once payment is recieved what is your next move?

Keeping up with several files can be easy if your organized but, keeping that many with variations in size can take up space even if you have Terabyte HD's.

Once I receive payment from the client I move their files from my "currently working on folder" to my completed folder (both are on my studio computer). Once I close out that months sales in Quickbooks I move their files to an external drive for archive. I keep these files on backup for 2 years in case I need to do a remix or the client needs it for some reason or another. If I think for one reason or another I may need this track beyond two years, then I move it to a disk (CD or DVD), but I don't do that very often. Also, if I have used their song as part of my reel then I keep the song as back up forever I guess, because I need it to re-build my demo reel if I lose it or my reel gets damaged in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so you essentially keep all the files, just achive (compress) and store in a different folder. I thought it was the duty of the Artist or their management to obtain the master files released from the engineer. I've read articles where some engineers wipe there HD's weekly or monthly and if you (the client) doesnt have your sessions then your screwed.

So if you had a session with John Legend & Rick Ross do you keep the sessions as well? Or will they (mangaement) take the files with them. Because there are several instances where a session may be tracked here, then mixed (here, here and here).

What do you mean by Reel? The only reel i can think of is a reel-to-reel.

You keep everything unless your contract says otherwise. Even then they would have to know that you have backups to try to force you to hand them over or erase them.

Additionally, session files may be needed in the future to redo the mixes as they decide they want to have the original bassline not the one they added at midnight on the last night of the project -easy enough to do when you have all the files - hard to do when you have trashed them all except for the final mix session.

Impossible to do when you only have one tape machine and no mechanism for creating dupes - happened to me a few times in the 1980's which is why I am glad we have almost unlimited recording and unlimited tracks in our projects with software - how people expect you to make dupes without the second machine is beyond me, but they did then and probably still would if we were still using tape exclusively.

A Reel in the context him-beats used it is essentially a highlights reel, like an actor might have only it is a highlight of the recordings produced in his studio.

As for archiving, I'd take a leaf from the graphic design business, where a project can have as many files as a recording session and equivalent sizes.

Most design shops used to drop their archives to Syquest cartridges (100-250mb) then they moved to Zip disks (100-250-750-1000mb) then DVD's. Currently a lot of design shops are using Blu-Ray Worms (Write-Once-Read-Many) discs.

Okay wow...Thats a lot of drives/space. Of course tech. now yields 1tb & 2tb HDs but still higher bit rates & sample rates take up more space. So keep it all, archive, backup to HD & Disk. Storage.

A Reel is kind of a resume? Showcasing samples of work you've done with clients?

Yep, sometimes called an EGO-reel

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 AM ----------

or a VANITY-reel

Yep, sometimes called an EGO-reel
Seriously? lol Is this an actual reel or just a mp3 of clips fading in/out?
Where can I learn more about this Reel deal?

I've created a written discography of work I've done.

Mr. Shane is on point as always. I would say save everything. If I am dealing with a local artist or a mixtape artist I save their stuff for 2 years. I charge them a small fee to retrieve their files from backup because I mixed their track at a discount to begin with. It is in the contract, but I rarely inforce it. Now if I mixed something for Rick Ross like you said, then that falls under the major label category and I keep everything for a major. I still have hyphy tracks from like 05, 06 that never even made it on the cd, but I still got them on backup. You can do it anyway you want as long as the contract states on, but I find that most majors expect you to keep the tracks in backup.

Yeah, the vanity reel is just an audio resume. Everybody does it different, but I have one major reel which highlights my placements, jingles, commercials, video games, different genre tracks, etc. This is about 45min to an hour long and has full tracks on it to showcase what I can do.

Then I have what I call mini reels which showcase different things. For example I have a mini reel that is just intro music for business presentations and stuff like that. Another mini might just be hip hop tracks, etc. These are made up of several projects faded in and out which last about 10 mins or so. I use these mainly as attachments in emails to potential clients. When I am dealing with a major or bidding for a job I use the full hour vanity reel in most cases.

I don't think there is really any rules to how you set up your reels that I know of. There are a few samples of some mini reels on my soundcloud....the first two tracks are reels I think......Mr.HIMbeats's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

-Alex

Alright thanks. What about in cases where your not under contract? Working with small artists say locally who just pay the fee, take the song and promo it. They recieve an invoice of course, but no contracts are signed.

Okay okay cool. So you send a "sampler" or reel to people you just meet who are interested in possibly working with you? Thats pretty dope, I've thought about doing that (just didnt know it was called a reel.lol)

But i started thinking will people listen to say 5min of clips?

The issuing and paying of the invoice is a contract of sorts - that you issue and the customer pays it implies a contractual obligation on both parts. In US law it may be considered to be a tort rather than a contract, but the issues remain the same pretty much - you have provided services/tangible items for a fee which the customer has paid. Both parties have agreed that an exchange of mutual benefit has taken place. Beyond that it comes down to your business practices; What do you think is important to keep?
What costs will you incur in ensuring the storage after the life of the project?
What fees do you want to charge to access the material at a later date?

Keeping archives should provide you with additional tax breaks as you are incurring costs to acquire storage media in the general pursuit of your business. transferring from media source to different media is also a business expense, as it takes time to setup and execute such transfers. you can choose to absorb the costs and take the tax break or charge the cost(s) and allow the customer to have the tax break.

Ego/Vanity-Reels is a name for the concept not the physical implementation. The physical implementation may be streaming audio, it may be a cd, it may be a cassette tape

When I mix a project, they get the mixes (but not the sessions) and the project is done – it’s their responsibility not to lose them. As a courtesy I keep everything archived, but it’s just a courtesy, not something I warrant. If I’m producing they get the tracks as well, but again, I keep an archive as a courtesy. I don’t really do straight tracking sessions, but if I were to do so, same thing. I’m not responsible for losing data I keep as a courtesy (although I’ve never actually lost anything). The reality is that when the client gets their goods, it’s their responsibility not to lose anything. If I’m mixing a beatmix or mixtape song, I delete it after a few days; I see no point in spending my money storing stuff that I’m doing for ridiculously small amounts of money… hard drives ain’t cheap.

I used to archive everything onto DVD when the cost of hard drives was just too high. Ugh. I have boxes and boxes of archived projects in my basement, like a LOT. I keep stuff forever, or as long as the media holds up (sooner or later one of these discs is sure to fail, but it hasn’t happened yet, and some of these are oooooold). These days I buy USB hard drives. I just picked up another one last week J I don’t zip them or anything, that way I have access to them if I need them. Once in a blue moon it becomes handy to take a quick look at an old session for an artist and I can run them right off the USB drive (although high track count sessions won’t run very smooth, but usually I don’t need to actually ‘hear’ anything, just looking).

Anyhoo, I’m generally paid up front, so once everything is delivered it gets moved from the main drive to the USB drive.

I keep everything, and more. By that I mean, I keep the original project files exactly as I bounced the audio out of my DAW (which happens to be Pro Tools). This includes all my plugins and mix decisions. But what happens a couple years down the road when you've upgraded or changed your plugin collection, and your original DAW files don't open anymore? Pro Tools happens to handle this OK, at least it'll open the session, even if some of your plugins won't load.

But for that reason, I also keep a second copy where I have all the audio of every track printed such that every track starts at zero on the timeline, and all tracks are the full length of the session. This way, at least all of your audio and any edits are captured, and everything has an absolute position on the timeline (if you've got 50 different pieces of audio on a track, you'd have to rebuild it later if your session file ever got lost/corrupted). Then you can remix with whatever plugins you happen to have at the time. It won't be exact, but at least the performances are captured.

Which brings me to my second point. Like Chris Carter said, this is a courtesy unless otherwise stated in your contract. But I also see it this way - these are original performances, some of which will never again be duplicated. Maybe I'm crazy, but if your artist ever wanted a remix or some adaptation of their song, that's lost business if you don't keep those tracks in some form or another.

Last edited:
Back