Send and return questions

bryzar

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if you insert a send on a track, is that placed 1st before the plugin chain or placed last after the plugin chain?
While I'm here I have read that some producers/engineers EQ the
return
reverb basically the same as the dry vocal has been EQ'ed.
Any thoughts?
Bryan

Hi Bryan, what DAW are you using?

Sends and Returns are usually post-effects (after the effects) and pre-fader.

What producers do in this case you're trying to achieve is route the Send to it's own mix channel or mix bus and EQ it separately there. Again, depending which DAW you are using matters for 'how' you are able to do that.

If you use a send on a vocal and have EQed that (an Insert Effect), then when you send it to a new channel and EQ it there, you have EQed it twice (same for any effect of course) and that's ok. Nothing wrong with that, just understand what you're doing. Light EQ and light compression can be applied before it gets sent, then you can EQ the sent effect in its own mix channel there separately (or pan or whatever). If you return it back to the original channel, then you'd have level control (Send and Return levels) and mix it as a combined source. I hope you were able to follow that. There's lots of possibilities within each DAW for this. I probably went into more detail than you wanted.

Sends and Returns are usually post-effects (after the effects) and pre-fader.

Hi Storm
Txs for your feedback. I am using Mixcraft Pro 9 which does the job ...anyway I have grasped what you have basically explained.
You can insert a plugin on the send track eg. EQ.. but there is no available return track to add a plug in if necessary.. however just EQ on the send may be sufficient for the desired result then again it may it may be of no real benefit see how it goes.. but thanks again for clarifying this issue.
Bryan

I just checked out Mixcraft9 and saw the Send dial. Obviously I can't help diagnose the routing. Keep the thread updated with what you find out from a Mixcraft perspective.

You could also duplicate the track(s) and treat each as a separate instrument source and eq them separately building them up to the sound you want.

Good luck

Back