Is SAE Institute A Good School?

blakghostbeats

Is there anybody in here that went to SAE? I want to know if it is a good school to go to. My main concern is job placement. I don't want to pay for school and then find out that employers don't want to hire a student from this school.

I'm not saying that going to school for audio engineering won't help you become a better engineer. But understand that recording studios just are NOT hiring people. They are all losing money and shutting down. There are 500 people for every one entry level job available. Most of the audio jobs are in video games, corporate A/V, and some film (although all my film friends tell me how the film/tv industry is really feeling the pinch and a lot of them are having a hard time finding work).

I'm just saying, it's not like getting a B.A. from a four year college where you have a 96% chance of getting a decent paying job. You go to SAE or Full Sail or wherever and you have the opposite: a 4% chance of getting a job, and unless it's in video games or corporate it's not even going to be decent pay.

Bottom line, go to these schools because you'd rather die than not do audio for a living. Or because you are the independent type that doesn't want a job and wants to go into business for yourself.

^ agreed,...

not that i'm rubbishing SAE or any other school,... but if you're concerned with job placement, then you're probably better off getting a proper degree from a proper school.

it might not be a Bachelors of Mixing but it'll be something that you can apply to audio production,.. eg i did architecture in university, before i really got into music,.... and looking back at it now, if i was more serious about music back then i could have focused on acoustics and studio design, which would have absolutely rocked!

electrical engineering, build and design your own gear. acoustic engineering/architecture, build and design symphony halls or studios,... i'm sure there are other things but i cant think of it off the top of my head.

actually the university i went to actually had a music section now that i think about it.

Last edited:
My B.A. is in broadcast communications (tv/audio/video) from a school with a great reputation for it, and my emphasis was in audio production. I've never had a regular job since I got my degree because I've been self-employed ever since. But if all hell broke lose, I could go out and get a regular job because I have a B.A. from a legit and acredited normal university. If all I had was a degree from Full Sail, I'd be SCREWED.

very trust chris...and SAE and Full Sail cost the same as going to an accreditted University...that's weird!

So what is a good school for AUDIO PROD? Is it better to go to school or is it better to learn on your own? Also what are the main programs the industry is using lately? I have been using pro tools for some time now and I want to further my knowledge in a studio like atmosphere. Or just get some sort of background innfo to take my education a little further.

Look at it like this ... there are people who are passing their BAR exams and still not finding jobs as lawyers ... the economy is shaky right now, there isn't guaranteed job placement in ANY career these days.

So what is a good school for AUDIO PROD? Is it better to go to school or is it better to learn on your own?

Learn something right. True low level knowledge (in the sense of "down to the atoms"). Go for electrical engineering, software engineering, acoustics maybe (hearing aids are a huge market full of cash) or even psychology or media/communication sciences. There are many options available.

Music production, for the most part, consists of so called "high level" information (in the sense of "very low complexity and high accessibility"). You just need to learn to use a dozen tools, but none of these schools will never (be able to) explain how they work and why. This is worthless knowledge, you just learn to use the tool X and the program Y. This isn't much better than another house-wife excel training.

Also what are the main programs the industry is using lately?

It doesn't matter. Every kid can use such programs after a little try and error. Again, every true engineer (and employer) just giggles about such "skillz".

I have been using pro tools for some time now and I want to further my knowledge in a studio like atmosphere.

What is a "studio like atmosphere"? Chris mention already that such things only exist in 80's and 90's music videos. These times are gone! Forget the whole studio atmosphere thing. It's an illusion.

Or just get some sort of background innfo to take my education a little further.

Ok, here it is. Seriously, that should be your primary goal. Solid education and hard, hard work is what makes you successful, this is not secondary!

Lookup every question via Wikipedia, start to read true scientific books, articles and papers. Get an AES membership (not SAE!! ;) ), it a bit costly, but you can then access an amazing information pool created by some of the most regarded communication engineers. Same here, you have a whole world of possibilities right beside your mouse cursor - use them!

Over the years, I strongly specialized into enterprise software development and earn so much that I can now basically spend 3/4 of my time running cool projects like a record label, development of several plugins and audio apps as well tons of other things without financial drawbacks. Not to mention several companies more related to "making money". I'm now 32. And happy to spend most time of my life with the things I love. Many things are possible, but you need to take the initiative, you need to learn more than everybody else and word harder and better than anyone else. Then, you'll have a small chance to actually reach your goal and end up with something very similar to the "studio atmo" you mentioned above. It's possible, but you'll need to seriously fight for it. The competition in all these "cool" jobs is insane. Absolutely insane. Nobody pays for average or "good enough" services.

Sounds like you're looking for something on the east coast. If you act pretty quick, you could be part of our fall course getting ready to start. Let me know if you want more info.

For decades, Gat3 Productions has produced and engineered myriad records for artists and bands of all genres and backgrounds, garnering us numerous Grammy and Dove Awards along the way. Utilizing only the best equipment and teaming up with some of the best, most unique and passionate musicians in the industry, we've been able to consistently create records of which we and our artists are extremely proud.

The cornerstone of our creative process is our team of professional producers and engineers who not only bring their expertise and experience to the table, but - most importantly - the core belief that creating music is a collaborative experience that must be shared and passed on.

It is with this belief that the Gat3 Recording Program has opened its doors, providing students with an in-depth curriculum in music production and engineering taught by Gat3 Productions' finest.

Our smaller class sizes give students more personalized attention, allowing for more individual learning time with our instructors and thus nurturing mentor-mentee relationships, giving students the confidence that comes with knowing that we take a vested interest in their future in the music industry. We have also priced this program much lower than most recording programs out there, making it more "available" to a wider range of students and those who are more concerned about what the are learning than the degree they are "buying".

Furthermore, classes are held not only in a classroom but often in professional, studio environments, allowing students to have hands-on experience with some of the best equipment, top-of-the-line microphones, and latest "gadgets" in the industry. Our unique, 3-day-per-week schedule also gives students the flexibility to work while enrolled in the program, and our low cost of tuition and payment plans make this program far more financially accessible than any other professional engineering programs.

The Fall course is scheduled to begin the end of September and there are only two spots remaining. If you are interested please let our staff know. Reply here or email us directly.

If you want a degree for engineering, go to a real university that is accredited and will get you through Electrical Engineering. That will teach you all you need to know about real engineering and music engineering, but will give you the flexibility of being hire-able by hi-paying jobs that lead to careers.

I'm not saying that going to school for audio engineering won't help you become a better engineer. But understand that recording studios just are NOT hiring people. They are all losing money and shutting down. There are 500 people for every one entry level job available. Most of the audio jobs are in video games, corporate A/V, and some film (although all my film friends tell me how the film/tv industry is really feeling the pinch and a lot of them are having a hard time finding work).

I'm just saying, it's not like getting a B.A. from a four year college where you have a 96% chance of getting a decent paying job. You go to SAE or Full Sail or wherever and you have the opposite: a 4% chance of getting a job, and unless it's in video games or corporate it's not even going to be decent pay.

Bottom line, go to these schools because you'd rather die than not do audio for a living. Or because you are the independent type that doesn't want a job and wants to go into business for yourself.

That happened to me in ... SAE school and then no jobs! Had to open my own studio... lol... Now about SAE school... as far as my expirience went I think it's really the best one!

That happened to me in ... SAE school and then no jobs! Had to open my own studio... lol... Now about SAE school... as far as my expirience went I think it's really the best one!
Working for yourself is not too bad of a gig Leopoldolopes. In my opinion, it's better than working for someone else - it may mean that you have to work a little harder, but the rewards are greater. I wish you the best.
Chris Carter - I'm sure that you will learn some great things at SAE - it def. comes with a big price tag that you have to decide is worthy or not. You will also have larger class sizes and not as much hands on opportunities as the program that we have developed. I have taken many interns at my studio from schools such as SAE, Full Sail, App. State, etc. and I felt like my engineers were training them from the ground up. It made me wonder if they really attended the school / classes. That is really why we started the Gat3 Recording Program. Many schools do not teach even some of the (what we feel) are very basic foundation learning blocks. As a studio, we KNOW what is needed, what clients feel is important and what it takes to be one of those studios who is NOT closing their doors. If you are considering a recording program, please let me answer any questions you may have about ours. I would love to have you in one of our courses.

Back