Reverb Timing Question

TLR

Yo i know you can always hear if it sounds right but i want to verify my workflow so i can work faster.

Working on a Track with 86 BPM

My Piano is like a A 55ms long hit so very fast. then comes a little fadeaway so it sound like a piano.

Now i want to work some Insert Reverb.
If i calculate first for orientation i will set it up like this:

55 Pre Delay ( cause i wanna keep the punch clear)
at 86 bpm 1/2 is = 1396ms for my groove i want the reverb to be 1/2 long
So if i look at the whole piano sample in particular i want the Punch Piano Part (55ms) and The Reverb part to be exactly 1396MS
Now 1396ms-55ms = 1341ms
Pre Delay : 55
Reverb Time : 1341

In Summary i should have a Piano which plays Exactly 1341

Is that a thing or is it total nonsense :D

Also i would like to know what the Diffusion does other than changing the tone? what does it simulate for example?

Best regards
TLR

That sounds far too complicated and over-thought. Tweak the reverb until it sounds right; use pre-delay if that is how you want to present it. EQ the verb itself as needed...

The math becomes important when dealing with delay (echoes), not reverb. Reverb tails should fill space, but you don't want to use so much that the mix becomes washy or muddy. But delay times are different. Delays should be timed with the rhythm and tempo of the song, so that the repetitions become a rhythmic element (either as quarter notes, eighths, 16ths, or triplets).

Two different approaches. You can be "feel-y" with reverb, but you should be precise with delay.

GJ

Last edited:
The reverb time is usually a RT60 value (reverb decay to -60dB). It could be specified for RT40 (-40 dB). In this case the same reverb setting corresponds to a different number. Numbers you don't understand deeply aren't the best guide when making music.

Agreed with rhythmgj, that's a pretty overcomplicated way of thinking about it. I don't think it's nonsense but a good-sounding reverb doesn't necessarily conform to specific time intervals and of course the whole basis for the calculation here is the odd fact that your hits would always be precisely 55ms long – if there was any human interaction in play, it'd almost never be the case.

Back