Recording vocals is a hellish experience.

psihobambi

This is my problem.

I love making music and writing raps and than rapping to the instrumental infront of my PC with a semi-loud voice (if that makes sense). It all sounds so ****ing great that I get super hyped,
but then ofcourse I have to record all that. That's where all the problems come in.
I have a hard time translating all that energy and what else to the mic... Something like that happened this morning.
I came up with a refrain last night. I sang it, a lot of times.. It sounded great, but when I tried to record it this morning it just didn't sound the same. I don't sing or rap the same with and without the mic I guess.

I'm recording in a closet (if I had a proper room I would record in a room) so it might be that I'm not feeling very comfortable there, or maybe even not being comfortable singing into the mic at all.
I find that I can hit notes better and flow when I sing quieter, but when I get close to mic it sounds like crap, and furthermore I don't want it to sound that mellow, because that's not how I imagined (sang) it last night.

This is the setup I'm using.
https://www.presonus.com/uploads/products/media/images/audiobox_studio (1).png

Are there any exercises that I can try ? Something to help me get in front of the mic and just do it in first few takes instead of trying to record the same song for like a month now, spending aprox. 3 hours daily recording ?

Death by perfectionist

Sound like to me you're a perfectionist like myself. The easiest way to get over it is to record and go through the process. the more you record the more comfortable you become, the more you develop a style and different techniques. I use to be stuck at home plate for years as a producer. never liking the way my tracks came out, always in the classroom mind state. A classroom mind state is good to have but just like any major college course you're going to have a "Lab". Your "Lab" is actually recording and finishing that recording, listening to play black and taking notes for the next project. Followed by going back to the classroom. that's the process of growth. (classroom, lab, classroom, lab...), with music and in life. Good luck bro hope I helped.

God Bless.:victory:

You're speaking the truth. Finishing songs is a must.
That's one of my biggest mistakes.
Anyways.. I feel the pressure to put out a great song since it's the first song that I'm gonna put online..
Gotta finish this one and not let perfectionism destroy my potential career.
So.. I'm just gonna delete this refrain, and put something else.
Mix it, master it, put it out, make a song with 4 chords and then go in the booth and sing over those chords loudly, quietly, whispering etc etc. Just to get to know my vocal and the mic.

Last edited:
I have suggestion. Try recording yourself when you think you are performing your best. It doesn't need to be a fancy, clean, or professional recording. You can even use the mic on your phone.

Take that recording and play it to see how it sounds. Compare it to recordings that you are trying to use. If the first recording is actually better due to your performance, then try rapping along with it while recording. Maybe that will help you out a bit.

Also, if you ever need an opinion on a recording or a mix you've done with a recording, shoot me a message!

Work on ditching the psychological barriers that prevent you from letting your full potential unleash no matter the circumstance. It's not an easy process but it'll help you become that aspiring musician since you're going to be required to play a lot of shiet on the spot and in front of people.

Back