recording from vinyl

H

House Guru

Does anyone know if I could create proffesional sounds by recording into soundforge from vinyl. I got some old records with some pretty cool sounds and lyrics, and i would like to record them to wave and then either loop them with acid or sample them with reason or something like that. Can anyone tell me if this could yield proffessional results?

What do you mean by professional? -remember that going digital is not going to take away the quality of the LP. If you record a record that has pops and scratches onto a CD, then you have a digital copy of those scratches and pops. Personally I would leave all the pops, scratches, and everything from the LP. Digital is great because it is clean, but digital (for the most part) does not generate noise or "good" distortion. ANALOG, on the other hand, has a warmer sound, good distortion, etc.
Just to give you an example of HOW clean pure digital is, there is software outthere that "replicates" those pops and scratchy sounds that people mix on top of there PURE digital recording just for the effect!

There is software that can clean up really bad sounding signals (aural exciter, or just eq'ing correctly).

For the most part, recording it digital will be almost exactly what you hear on the record player...

Indeed, but on a general note you can say to watch your Vu-meters (in your recording program) as closely as possible. You should stay the closest possible to 0 dB as possible, without crossing it.
If you go over the 0 dB level, you'll have clipping. Clipping is not wanted :)

But if you record too low, the sound level of the sample will not be high enough (!). If you wanna get it at the right level, you'll have to adjust the gain. But the problem is, if you increase volume of the sample, you'll also increase the background noises (hiss or hum most of the time). This reduces the quality dramatically.

So be sure you record in the best possible conditions. It's useless cleaning samples that have been badly recorded.

PS : a little habit of mine, and that you should do also. If you're software (like SF, DC adjust -> Calibrate in record window) has DC adjust, use it before starting any recording (with the source already plugged in, but not playing. For example if you record from the line input, be sure the line in is ready for recording, but nothing is playing through it. Adjust DC, and then you can start recording).
The DC adjust will correct any DC mismatches between your source(s) and soundcard. If there should be an offset, this can cause pops at the beginning and end of the sample. You can correct it afterwards, but like always, correcting the problem at the source is better than to correct it later.

Another suggestion if the "level" is a part of your concern, would be to use a compressor in between the source and destination. Something with a noise gate would be helpful. Check out the Alesis 3630 if your interested in getting hardware. Its cheap enough (around 80-110 on Ebay) and will help you hit as close to ZERO DB as possible without clipping. Plus if you do any other recording like guitars or bass, (I've even used it with drum machines) they sound great when really squished with a compressor...

Depends on the sound you're recording, but you'll probably want to put a low-pass filter on there to get rid of all the rumble that you get off vinyl.

KasioRoks

And finally (although I wish it went without saying) -- you need a phono pre-amp (either in the form of a DJ setup; a stereo receiver, amp, or preamp with a dedicated phono input; or a standalone phono preamp). While a mic or other pre-amp might boost the signal from your phono cartidge adequately, vinyl records were recorded with a special EQ curve that boosted treble and rolled off bass [the so-called RIAA curve] -- that has to be compensated for in playback).

(I just thought about it -- this is a great chance for some DirectX plug-in designer... it'd be a kludge but a plug-in for the RIAA curve might be a worthwhile thing.)

Last edited:
Back