Recording sounds from the Motif Rack ES

rubyibarra

Software: Cool Edit Pro
Harware: Motif Rack ES, Axiom 49 Controller, EMU 0404 USB interface, KRK Rokit 5 speakers

Connections (*ALL cables are brand new):
Axiom 49 MIDI OUT --midi cable--> Motif rack MIDI IN
Motif rack Digital Out --s/pdif coax cable--> Interface S/PDIF IN
Motif rack --USB cable--> Computer
Axiom 49 --USB cable--> Computer
Interface --USB cable--> Computer
KRK Rokit speakers --XLR to 1/4 cable--> Interface L & R outs

HELP! I want to record the sounds I play onto Cool Edit Pro. However, it doesn't record anything in the program and I don't hear any playback (unless I plug my speakers directly into the Motif rack).
Are my connections correct? If not, how do I fix this? Do I need to change any settings on my computer or Cool Edit Pro? Also, am I supposed to connect the Axiom to my interface?

Thank you so much. Any feedback is appreciated!!!

Sounds like you need to change the softwares internal clock to external and match whatever the motif es is outputting through the digital out/spdif.

Okay.. couple of things.

You should be able to record the sound either digitally through the SPDIF IN of the interface.... or just grab some audio cables and run the Motif analog outs to the analog in of the interface.

Secondly... Cool Edit Pro is seriously old software. I used it a very long time ago. Not saying it's not "capable"... but... it was never really meant for music recording. It was more of an editing program.. meant for broadcasting. Lots of people use it quite frankly b/c it was probably one of the first pirated pieces of software back then.

I would absolutely recommend upgrading. I have no idea of it's full capability list... but there's no way anyone would argue it has all of the features needed for someone looking to produce music, like Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Ableton, etc have.

Look at Reaper first b/c of its low cost.. and the fact that it has everything you'd need. It should make things much much much much easier for you.

Read the manual on how to record external devices.
If it's not in the manual.. well... it's either because 1) it's not really meant for that, so they didn't think of including in the workflow.. or 2) you can do it, but in a round about way.... not intuitive b/c again... it's old and not meant for that.

---------- Post added at 06:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 AM ----------

You know what it's like?

It's like trying to format pictures by using Microsoft Clip Art... instead of Photoshop. I'm sure you can make some really nice efits in clip art... but uhhhhh, yeah... it's not the best tool for the job anymore.

This is one of the very few times I would ever say that what you're using may not be up to par, b/c you're doing more than just editing waveforms and multitrack recording. You need a better DAW.

Last edited:
Do the E-Mu's S/PDIF inputs show up in Cool Edit's preferences?

I kind of agree with the above - hell, even the successor of CEP is already 10 years old - but in regards to just recording audio I don't really see why it wouldn't work.

Back