Recording R&B Vocals

music_life73

I am about to record some R&B vocals. I am relatively new to recording. I have a small effective set up:
-M-Box 2
-Pro-Tools
-Phantom Powered Condenser Mic
-AudioBuddy Pre-Amp

I wanted to know if there is a formula. How many stacks should there be for bg's? Is a Compressor needed? What eq settings and plug-ins should Be used? How should I set the leads?
Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

I usually compress vocals a bit, and eq to preference. Then I get a ballpark mix, fine tune, and lastly automate the vocals - ride them the entire song so they are exactly where you want them.

Thanks 4 replying. So are you using the standard plug-ins for compression and automate, or do you have added on features or hardware? Do I should buy a compressor to get quality sound? Also, what are you using to auto-tune it?

The built-in PTLE plugins aren't *great*, but they're a good learning experience if nothing else, meaning if you learn to get decent sound on crappy equipment/plugins, you'll get *great* sound out of good equipment when you can afford it. That said, I can usually get what I want (within reason) out of the stock Compression and EQ-III.

Automation is built in to Protools; no need to buy anything extra there.

I use Antares AutoTune. Excellent software, but only if you 1) know how to use it, and 2) have a good vocalist. I use AutoTune in manual, AudioSuite mode only. It's not a band-aid, but an afterburner; it makes an already-good vocal sound great, especially if there is harmony to match.

That's what's up. I have a really good vocalist, but I know an autotune program will probably make the vocals even tighter. How much is the Antares AutoTune program? Is the compressor easy to use? Do u record r&B?

I do mostly rock and alternative, some acoustic stuff too.

The compressor has the common compression controls; how easy it is depends on how well you know compressors and how to use them.

One thing I *do* like about the PTLE stuff is that the factory presets list they give you pretty much doesn't work for anything practical, so you have to make up your own settings...which is how people should do it anyway.

AutoTune is $320 on Sweetwater.com.

Back