Recording Guitars

Pipper

I've been mostly working with synth music like dance/industrial and now Im looking at making guitar loops. I was wondering what is the best way to record the sound of my guitar into my computer?

~Thanks
:monkey:

it depends on what`s your actual setup and what kind of sound you want to achieve.
Possibly in the order (apart from the obvious:a guitar)

a good sound card
either a guitar rack-mount pre-amp
or if u want to get a more garage/rock sound (but also here it`s up to ya taste) and you already own a
proper guitar amp,a mic to capture the sound.

But still it could be usefull to know what u already have and what sonority you intend to obtain.

Mattb

one word "pod"

Get a Pod Pro for recording your guitar. IMO thats one of the best affordable solutions. That and maybe an echo card with good recording quality and you should have most of what you need. With the multiple amp modeling sounds you can get with the Pod Pro, you can get some versatile sounds. :cool:

To record guitars .... a good guitarist , a good guitar , a good head and big cab. One SM57 mic , track 4 times. No EQ , a smidgen of compression. Result ... big sound , tight as hell.

It depends on where you're recording it too I guess. I can't crank up my amp or my neighbours are going to gett dischuffed pretty quickly.

A Pod is what I want. In the meantime I've been using a MultiFX for amp simulation.

But all sounded pretty hopeless until I got a decent program to process the recording - Sound Forge 5 is able to knock the wave into shape quite nicely. I now think something like this is essential for recording guitar.

If you are going to use software try amp farm or sans amp. A nice trick is to amp farm it twice.

I think amp farm can sound better than a small amp at low volume but can't compare to a big rig cranked up. The sound of air moving and speaker cones being tortured is untouchably sublime. This is the sound that those albums from the 60's and 70's have that is rarely ever recaptured today.

ha ha nothing beats a loud amp...
in addition to the classic shure 57 try these mics, they give pretty nice results :
sennheiser 421
electrovoice RE20
ribbon mics sound sweet too

my guitar processor of choice is the lexicon MPX G2 it is a super pro pre amp/fx and it sounds incredible you have balanced/unbalanced connections and multiple outputs at the same time so you can split the sound highly recommended...

In an ideal world, we'd all have Marshall JCM900s miked u with a nice Neumann valve mic.

In the meantime, I suggest you get a Pod PRO rack unit. The tone is so pure, and you can use it to emulate many well known amps, including a JCM900, Vox AC30 etc etc. I've used one, and the guitar played right into the PC sounded like it had been miked up in the studio.

Last edited:
In an ideal world, you'd have a Marshall stack... I can't stand the sound of 'em, as a rule. Give me a funky, noisy old fender with a tube reverb (transistor 'verb in a tube amp is a HUGE no-no that Fender just goes ahead and ignores in their affordable amps... that's why as soon as you kick in the 'verb you're swimming in a sea of hiss). But I like the Fender sound, big ol' warts and all. Different strokes...

On the simulator box front -- a lot of people use them. And they are flexible and they are a lot easier than dragging around a selection of amplifiers. But do they sound like the amps in question? Not that I've heard. They sound kinda like the amp, sorta. And that may well be fine. And they may well be better for some sounds. But I've yet to hear any solid state or FET circuitry (and ESPECIALLY no digital circuitry) that really sounds like a tube amp. They don't saturate the same at all. They have more crossing point error by their very nature. They sound "too clean but brittle" to me.

Still, who has the dough for a stable of Mesa Boogies and classic Marshalls, Fenders, Ampegs, etc...

What works for you is what will work for you... ;)

PS... don't forget that there are software based amp sim plug-ins as well. Sonar comes with a limited little one (the XL pkg has a more-full-featured version. I have this and it's useful -- but I've probably used it more on vocals than guitars... I like clean guitars and dirty vocals. Go figure.)

Last edited:
funny i'm not a fan of marshalls either, they are so trebley and the speaker cabinet design sucks, it's too directional for me, but boogies I like, and engl amps are great but they are very expensive....
btw if you are using a speaker simulator try using a low pass filte r set @ around 5 khz ....

Last edited:
No, can't say I'm a Marshall fan. But with me it's personal - for years I had a real rat 50 W head and 4x12 that I'd made to look like something out of Mad Max, painted silver with extra metal bits sticking out of the cab. Every flat I ever lived in I had to look at this thing dominating my living space. Every gig I ever did I'd stab myself on the metal sticking out. I ended up hating that thing. It was like an albatross around my neck. It had to go.

No more Marshalls ever since. :hello:

Peavey 2x12 now. Not great but compact and practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back