Recording Equipment

tjustice

I want to setup a home studio in my closet & im on a budget of 350. Any recommendations of what I should get? Pop filter, mic, etc

homemade pop filter would be the cheapest option for that budget, Pantyhose and wooden circle would do the trick. Shure SM58 is an industry standard, although for strictly recording a condenser microphone would be a wiser choice, would need a source of phantom power for that as well (48v required to power the microphone). Large condenser vs. small condenser would be dictated what you are generally planning to record and I am not an expert at which would serve a better purpose. Then you would need an audio interface, I use the NAtive instruments komplete audio 6, it does the job not amazing, heard some things about the scarlett, seems affordable. You'll need to decide how many instruments/mics you'll be recording at a time, most affordable interfaces come with 2 inputs but you can definitely get one's with more. So a list to summarize:

-Mic: Shure sm58 (dynamic usually on stage, would save phantom power cost and possible to record)
-pantyhose
-wooden circle (those sewing circles would work, not sure what they are called)
-Audio interface (Usb or firewire-firewire would save a slot if short on USB ports, decide how many instruments will be recorded at a time)
-DAW (something free like audacity would work and keep you in budget)
-Closed back headphones (personally senheiser fan here, I have HD380 pro I enjoy)
-Cables (XLR wise choice, lots of interfaces have 1/4" TLR input/outputs)

Monitors would be nice but put you way over budget

Last edited:
Just in terms of an audio interface, I've been using a Steinberg UR22 for all my mic/guitar/bass recording stuff and it goes really well. I picked this one up 2nd hand for $50 so depending how much you spend elsewhere, might be worth considering

Recording vocals in a closet the first thing u need to concentrate on is acoustic treatment. Ur vocals are gonna sound very boxy. I would either try building my old bass traps with the money are buying as much sound dampening material to hang up as i could afford.

Back