Recording electric guitar???

marc32123

I am wondering how the pro's record electric guitar. From what I now as of now, there are mainly two ways to do it, but I may be wrong. The first one is the technique of plugging the electric guitar straight into the audio interface, and than recording clean without any effects etc, and then adding the effects in afterwords. I really don't like this method, although some people do. The second technique that I know of is to use a real guitar amplifier to get the sound. Basically, they say you can do that by plugging directly into the amp with your guitar, and than plugging the amp into the audio interface. There is also the technique of mic'ing the guitar amp...

I am wondering, what technique do the pro's use? For example, how do you think the guitar was recorded in this song by Breaking Benjamin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zFfRSeA1ls

When no amplifier is required, pro use a D.I. (direct injection box) to feed a mic preamplifier.

I'm pretty sure pros use all of the methods available, whether out of necessity or because they want to. I guess one nowadays popular method that wasn't really covered is recording dry/clean via DI, then reamping afterwards.

There's no method that's somehow definite; all have their uses, even though I guess micing amps is what most people go to for "real" sounding guitar. It's also the trickiest method (or the one with the most creative freedom, depending on how you look at it...), as everything will contribute to the final sound: the amp, it's volume/loudness, the mic positioning & angles, the amount of mics, the cab, the room...and of course the recording chain the signal goes through. But even though it sounds complex, sticking a 57 at a slight angle, a few centimeters away point ing at the speaker cone will probably sound pretty good.

When no amplifier is required, pro use a D.I. (direct injection box) to feed a mic preamplifier.

How does this method work exactly? I use the DAW mixcraft 7 and have a Scarlet 2i2 for an audio interface. Also, I have a Spider IV guitar amplifer...

I think there has got to be a better way than with a mic, I don't like it because using a in front of the amp speakerhead doesn't really pick up the direct sound off the strings, and I use a semi-hollow body so I want to get that extra acoustic sound if I can.

How does this method work exactly? I use the DAW mixcraft 7 and have a Scarlet 2i2 for an audio interface. Also, I have a Spider IV guitar amplifer...

Many interfaces - the 2i2 included - have "instrument inputs" (or inputs being able to be switched into instrument mode). This is more or less the same thing as using a DI.

I think there has got to be a better way than with a mic, I don't like it because using a in front of the amp speakerhead doesn't really pick up the direct sound off the strings, and I use a semi-hollow body so I want to get that extra acoustic sound if I can.

Well, you asked about "recording electric guitar" - not recording a semi-acoustic one :) If you want to record the acoustic sound, then it's a whole different story.

Many interfaces - the 2i2 included - have "instrument inputs" (or inputs being able to be switched into instrument mode). This is more or less the same thing as using a DI.

Well, you asked about "recording electric guitar" - not recording a semi-acoustic one :) If you want to record the acoustic sound, then it's a whole different story.

Basically what I want is to just replicate what the pro's do, no matter the cost of equipment...

What I REALLY wish I could get the sound of my amp when I am recording, with the beautiful effects/sound but also with zero latency. Zero latency is key in my opinion. There has got to be a way to replicate this technique that I am describing, isn't there? Is there any way I could just plug into my guitar amp and play like normal, and somehow record that sound I am getting, but without using a mic??? Like through a DI box or some sort of box that I could go through?

Last edited:
Well yes, even though the speaker/cabinet contributes to the sound as well, which is micing is usually preferred to the direct out sound. You said in the other thread that you don't get sound from it; I noticed the back of the Spider says "use only stereo 1/4" TRS cable" - are you using a stereo cable (vs. a regular mono guitar cable)?

TipsTricks02.gif

I'm no pro at this, in fact I know little about equipment or "live" recording. But isn't it kind of impossible to get ZERO latency? I mean, I'm thinking about the input signal leaving the guitar, then processed by any pedals you have, pre-amps, amps, then microphones and then the mixing table as well. This would take "time" (or the latency) to happen, right?

electric guitar recording can be done in several ways:

1: micing up an amp,
with this method you play trough an amp an record it with a microphone (often a dry signal is recorded too for reamping if needed). amp settings, volume level, cabinet type and quality, speakers, mic placement, and the kind of mic all make a difference in the sound you'll get. if any of these factors is done wrong your tone will suffer.
it sounds hard and it is, you'll need to learn how to do it an you will need to practise to get it right. as a reward you will (eventually) get a great natural sound/tone. this way is the most used way in pro studio's as it sounds the best.

2: using software amp simulators,
amp sims used to sound like shit, however they have really advanced over the years and are a valid way of recording guitars these days.
with this method you plug your electric guitar into the instrument input on your interface and get the signal trough a mixer channel and amp sim. you record the dry track so you can still tweak the settings if needed. an amp sim i recommend is positive grid bias, it is the best i have personally heard and its really in depth and flexible.

recording (semi)-acoustic guitar:

option a: record your acoustic guitar with a microphone into your interface. again mic type and placement is really important here. but this will sound notably better than option b, the sound will be natural and bright and string noise is picked up as well as the tones you play.

option b: record your semi acoustic guitar trough the instrument input. you cam put some reverb and compression on it to make the sound a bit more lively as this method can sound a bit dull and artificial.(you wont need an amp sim here)

you can also mix these two techniques to get the best of both worlds.

my advice: if you are going to do lots of guitar recording, spend the time learning to mic up as it is a valuable and marketable skill. if you are only going to do this occaisionally you can just di.

I'm no pro at this, in fact I know little about equipment or "live" recording. But isn't it kind of impossible to get ZERO latency? I mean, I'm thinking about the input signal leaving the guitar, then processed by any pedals you have, pre-amps, amps, then microphones and then the mixing table as well. This would take "time" (or the latency) to happen, right?

On a theoretical level...yes, there's always latency. In practice this kind of processing is near instant & with analog equipment we're talking about light speed anyway.

When I track guitars, I di into my ssl alpha vhd and split the signal to the converter/compressor for dry and then to my pod for a wet scratch. With this i am looking more for performance over tone. After I have the di track, I reamp. Normal mic techniques from here or substitute with modeling/sims.

I'm pretty sure pros use all of the methods available, whether out of necessity or because they want to. I guess one nowadays popular method that wasn't really covered is recording dry/clean via DI, then reamping afterwards.

There's no method that's somehow definite; all have their uses, even though I guess micing amps is what most people go to for "real" sounding guitar. It's also the trickiest method (or the one with the most creative freedom, depending on how you look at it...), as everything will contribute to the final sound: the amp, it's volume/loudness, the mic positioning & angles, the amount of mics, the cab, the room...and of course the recording chain the signal goes through. But even though it sounds complex, sticking a 57 at a slight angle, a few centimeters away point ing at the speaker cone will probably sound pretty good.
some times he can't use all of the methods available

electric guitar recording can be done in several ways:

1: micing up an amp,
with this method you play trough an amp an record it with a microphone (often a dry signal is recorded too for reamping if needed). amp settings, volume level, cabinet type and quality, speakers, mic placement, and the kind of mic all make a difference in the sound you'll get. if any of these factors is done wrong your tone will suffer.
it sounds hard and it is, you'll need to learn how to do it an you will need to practise to get it right. as a reward you will (eventually) get a great natural sound/tone. this way is the most used way in pro studio's as it sounds the best.

2: using software amp simulators,
amp sims used to sound like shit, however they have really advanced over the years and are a valid way of recording guitars these days.
with this method you plug your electric guitar into the instrument input on your interface and get the signal trough a mixer channel and amp sim. you record the dry track so you can still tweak the settings if needed.
Tutuapp 9apps Showbox an amp sim i recommend is positive grid bias, it is the best i have personally heard and its really in depth and flexible.

recording (semi)-acoustic guitar:

option a: record your acoustic guitar with a microphone into your interface. again mic type and placement is really important here. but this will sound notably better than option b, the sound will be natural and bright and string noise is picked up as well as the tones you play.

option b: record your semi acoustic guitar trough the instrument input. you cam put some reverb and compression on it to make the sound a bit more lively as this method can sound a bit dull and artificial.(you wont need an amp sim here)

you can also mix these two techniques to get the best of both worlds.

my advice: if you are going to do lots of guitar recording, spend the time learning to mic up as it is a valuable and marketable skill. if you are only going to do this occaisionally you can just di.
but how you can mix these two techniques to get the best of both worlds ? i think this is difficult

Last edited:
but how you can mix these two techniques to get the best of both worlds ? i think this is difficult

Reamplification, recording two separate tracks of each technique then syncing any discrepencies later; there are a lot of techniques.

GJ

Back