Recording from an Electribe to DAW

Mesha

Hi,

I recently bought an Electribe ESX-1 and am waiting for it to arrive. I would like to record my sessions with it into my DAW but not quite sure how to do that.

I have a NI Maschine which is plugged into a Komplete Audio 6 interface via XLR cables into some monitor speakers. Can I plug my Electribe into the same audio interface and hear/record it on my DAW?

If anyone here is familiar with the Electribe and Komplete Audio interface, do you have any suggestions on the best cables/way to hook this all up.

Many thanks!

I was able to record with my emx-1 through 2i2 interface in ableton. I used 1/4 cables and I believe there was something I had to do on the Emx-1 to change the output format to binary so the computer could read it but I know that's what the interface is supposed to do so I'm not entirely sure if I was really supposed to do that. It was a difficult set up because I had no idea what I was doing back then and tried using midi cords at first and was wondering why I wasnt getting it to work lol. Just be careful that your monitors are off when your plugging/unplugging because I had to nearly turn the volume all the down, its a very sensitive connection. If you're using ableton you need to change some input preferences to get the clearest sound. I think it's either dig or wav input and one of them was clipping the sounds horribly and the other sounded fine as long as I had the output turned down on Emx and interface. Hope that helps sorry if it doesn't make sense it's been a while since I had it setup.

Mesha said:
I have a NI Maschine which is plugged into a Komplete Audio 6 interface via XLR cables into some monitor speakers. Can I plug my Electribe into the same audio interface and hear/record it on my DAW?

Not that this has anything to do with the ESX, but how would you have hooked up to an audio interface? There's no audio going through the Maschine hardware at any time - the only thing you could hook up would be the MIDI cables (and don't really see why you'd want to do that since there's the more convenient USB connection available anyway). But yes, you can hook your ESX to the same interface - audio cables for, well, audio and MIDI if you want to sync it up to your DAW.

If anyone here is familiar with the Electribe and Komplete Audio interface, do you have any suggestions on the best cables/way to hook this all up.

Can't say I'm familiar with either, but they work like just about everything else. You'll just need a pair (or 4 if you want to use the individual outs as well) of regular 1/4" TS cables. And, as said, MIDI cables if needed. Not necessary to just record stuff, though.

Jeffrop6691 said:
I believe there was something I had to do on the Emx-1 to change the output format to binary so the computer could read it but I know that's what the interface is supposed to do

I'm not sure if there actually is some magical function to "change the output format to binary"; at least the ESX's specs hint nothing at the possibility of outputting digital through the regular analog outs. But of course, nothing like that is needed when you're just recording audio. It's not really different than plugging an electric guitar to your interface, and I don't remember seeing a "binary" switch on those :)

Last edited:
Back