Recording advice ( sending vocals and beats thru the internet)

ThaRightwrong

ThaRightWrong
Hey,

Jus a few questions I had regarding sending beats to a friend (lives bout an hour an half away) and him doing vocals at his place.

I produce on a desktop computer, and I kinda got my lil area set-up and not really down to throw all the shit in the trunk and set it back up at his place, then take it home again. So..

1. I use studio one, and will probably get him fl studio for his laptop (not the best laptop but it should be fine) so he has a DAW to work in, So I would do my beats in Studio one , send it to him (what would be best way to send it?) with track info such as tempo, song structure etc.. And he should be able to just load it up in FL and do his thing right? then track out his vocals and send em back and i'll Eq, mix, maybe remove things at his request.

2. I'm debating what Mic set-up we should get (it'll stay at his place). Budget is about $250ish maybe more.
A Usb Mic (how's the sound quality with these) or an XLR mic + audio interface which will boost the price up. If the usb would be cool or if some of you have them let me know as he wouldn't need a super professional set-up.
[h=3][/h]Also any mic suggestions
Thanks for any feedback. Have no prior experience working with vocals/recording them. Learning this music thing as a whole day by day.

If he's just using the track as a reference to rap over, then send him a wav or high-quality MP3. It should drop into FL, and then he can record on a separate track. As for the tempo and structure, you might have to send him notes on that. You can set up markers in Studio One, but I don't know if they will translate to FL once the track gets there. Maybe if you were exporting stems, but in this case, that's a waste of time.

The real trick is when he sends the vocals file back to you. In order for it to match up seamlessly with your beat in Studio One, you'll want him to export the stem of his vocal track. That way, the vocal track will begin at 0:00, you can load it right into S1, and you won't have to worry about syncing anything up.

As for the mic set-up, I prefer an XLR. It doesn't have to be expensive. Since you're already into Presonus Studio One, check out their AudioBox USB. Affordable, easy, and works great.

Thanks for fast reply.

So with the stems thing is there an option for that in Fl studio in the export window.?( I used Fl for a few months) and yea I'll send A note with each beat about the tempo/structure so he can adjust Fl studio accordingly.

And if we do go the xlr mic/audio interface route, I'm assuming he wouldn't need studio monitors at his place just some decent studio headphones plugged right into the headphone jack on the interface?

Back