Recommendations on a mic

theroachlife

Yo,

I'm for a good mic for a decent price to record out of my home studio. I've never messed with recording audio before, but I want to record a hook on one of my records. I have a M-Box interface and would be recoding into Logic. Thanks.

What may be a decent price to one guy may be expensive as hell to the next. What is your budget? Better yet, go to guitar center or musicians friend, check out the mics in your price range, google them and read the reviews. For example "Shure 58 review" or "Blue DragonFly review."

cool ill check out guitar center. looking to spend between 100$ - 300$. Not going to be doing much recording, just have a few hook ideas.

+1 on the 57 if u feel like stretching a little further a 7b :) but if ur just doing it for ideas and not getting a preamp etc then probably would be a waste to stretch further on the mic. The preamp has more impact on the quality, as does the recording environment etc.

Last edited:
Sure SM57 is a good bet, but I just picked up a Røde NT-1A and the difference is pretty huge, especially for vocals. You can find them on eBay for like $100 sometimes. Only problem is that it runs pretty hot so you may need an inline pad, but the level of detail and sensitivity is pretty outstanding.

I have a Blue Sparkle and I like it a lot for vocals only.....for acoustic instruments I use Oktava...

You can listen to the Sparkle on my recordings on my soundcloud account to get an idea of the sound...

It's quite cheap and sounds good...

I went with the Sterling Audio ST-55. Anybody have a good tutorial video on youtube how to get everything setup? I'm trying to record in Logic through and Mbox Mini 2.

Last edited:
Back