Really sharp transients!

Daniel Carroll

Can someone please tell me how my kick drum developed this sharp transient? The original kick isn't like this and it seemed to occur while mixing. There's no real harsh processing on it, it has an eq with slight boosts no more than 3db. And it's being fed into a drum bus with another EQ and a multiband processor. Maybe Audacity is picking the waveform up wrong? Because I looked in Exoscope in my DAW and it seemed fine. Please help!

Attachments

• 12939341_1126552574053964_898205161_n.jpg
    12939341_1126552574053964_898205161_n.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 91
I fail to see what sharp transients you're seeing.

Can you actually hear any difference? If not I wouldn't worry about how the waveform looks like

To me, the steep peaks in the image look like a waveform display bug in audacity. If there would be transients as sharp as displayed, they would sound like a sharp click. You would definitely notice that your kick drums sound very different. If that is not the case don't worry and move on.

Shifts in phase are caused by EQs and can result in larger peaks, but it wouldn't raise it that much most likely. To rule a few things out, I'd bounce every thing after each process to see what is causing the issue.

I'd try just limiting it to see if there is any audible change. You could also use any kind of dB meter to see if it is still peaking on other meters. Lastly, what is the attack and gain on the multiband compressor?

You could try cutting at 3.7 khz and 4.3 khz if you're finding a sound source harsh. You could also try a very fast compressor with a fast release as well.

Last edited:
I think it's the multiband compressor. I was using the stock multiband compressor in FL 12. no matter what the attack settings wore the transients were still poking like that. I switched to Fabfilters Pro MB and it seemed to help. Thanks lads! :)

Back