Rap Covers

Skylare

Hi i just have a question.... What would be the easiest and cheapest and best way to take instrumental from different rap songs and combine them with my vocals?

Last edited:
If the instrumental isn't already online, somebody usually remakes it. It's difficult to remove vocals without the original instrumental. Sometimes people will take the mid out and leave the sides, but usually the kicks and snares are in the mid. A lot of these instrumentals you find online are remade. I remade this a few months back. https://soundcloud.com/gabe-hawk/goin-down-for-real-1/s-WQIXn

SOMETIMES the song has an easily looped part, like Drake's Pound Cake. Sometimes, the song doesn't have something as convenient as Pound Cake, but an important part of the song is exposed and loopable, like J.Coles Tale of Two Citiez, or Drake's Hype (I fucking hate that I can't find his music for examples, BUT here's his SNL performance. This is in the original song, without his yeahs. That sample plays 4 times. Conceivably, somebody could loop that and then all they would have to do is add drums and they have a recreation.)

Thanks so much for your reply i appreciate it but my question is more directed at the best way to record it. like i have the instrumental for cleaning out your closet by Eminem and i wanna put my vocals with it. I did this cover with my phone and didn't work out so well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nffkAcvgs

Thanks so much for your reply i appreciate it but my question is more directed at the best way to record it. like i have the instrumental for cleaning out your closet by Eminem and i wanna put my vocals with it. I did this cover with my phone and didn't work out so well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nffkAcvgs

Oh my bad. I misunderstood.

Well going the cheapest route, I normally would say get a USB mic for your computer and use something like Audacity, but I have always had some horrible trouble with USB Mics. The next cheapest route, IMO, would be a inexpensive interace under $100 with an inexpensive mic under $100 (or perhaps exactly $100). It sounds like you aren't going for crazy quality right now anyway. You can worry about that down the road as you work on your delivery.

BTW that 2Pac instrumental is exactly what I'm talking about. People have taken away the parts that are in the middle of the song (as in not panned to the left or right) and while that gets the main vocals out, you're missing the kick and snare.

Oh my bad. I misunderstood.

Well going the cheapest route, I normally would say get a USB mic for your computer and use something like Audacity, but I have always had some horrible trouble with USB Mics. The next cheapest route, IMO, would be a inexpensive interace under $100 with an inexpensive mic under $100 (or perhaps exactly $100). It sounds like you aren't going for crazy quality right now anyway. You can worry about that down the road as you work on your delivery.

BTW that 2Pac instrumental is exactly what I'm talking about. People have taken away the parts that are in the middle of the song (as in not panned to the left or right) and while that gets the main vocals out, you're missing the kick and snare.

thanks this is very helpful ill take sometime to look around i guess for a decent mic. sorry it is like 2 am atm haha

Back