Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Rap Covers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Rap Covers

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi i just have a question.... What would be the easiest and cheapest and best way to take instrumental from different rap songs and combine them with my vocals?
    Last edited by Skylare; 08-01-2016 at 09:37 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    If the instrumental isn't already online, somebody usually remakes it. It's difficult to remove vocals without the original instrumental. Sometimes people will take the mid out and leave the sides, but usually the kicks and snares are in the mid. A lot of these instrumentals you find online are remade. I remade this a few months back. https://soundcloud.com/gabe-hawk/goi...real-1/s-WQIXn

    SOMETIMES the song has an easily looped part, like Drake's Pound Cake. Sometimes, the song doesn't have something as convenient as Pound Cake, but an important part of the song is exposed and loopable, like J.Coles Tale of Two Citiez, or Drake's Hype (I fucking hate that I can't find his music for examples, BUT here's his SNL performance. This is in the original song, without his yeahs. That sample plays 4 times. Conceivably, somebody could loop that and then all they would have to do is add drums and they have a recreation.)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks so much for your reply i appreciate it but my question is more directed at the best way to record it. like i have the instrumental for cleaning out your closet by Eminem and i wanna put my vocals with it. I did this cover with my phone and didn't work out so well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nffkAcvgs

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylare View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply i appreciate it but my question is more directed at the best way to record it. like i have the instrumental for cleaning out your closet by Eminem and i wanna put my vocals with it. I did this cover with my phone and didn't work out so well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88nffkAcvgs
    Oh my bad. I misunderstood.

    Well going the cheapest route, I normally would say get a USB mic for your computer and use something like Audacity, but I have always had some horrible trouble with USB Mics. The next cheapest route, IMO, would be a inexpensive interace under $100 with an inexpensive mic under $100 (or perhaps exactly $100). It sounds like you aren't going for crazy quality right now anyway. You can worry about that down the road as you work on your delivery.

    BTW that 2Pac instrumental is exactly what I'm talking about. People have taken away the parts that are in the middle of the song (as in not panned to the left or right) and while that gets the main vocals out, you're missing the kick and snare.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    91
    Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
    AudioTechnica AT2020
    Steinberg UR12
    Steinberg Cubase AI
    Mic stand
    Pop shield
    Mic cable
    Headphones
    Recording | Mixing | Mastering | 1-on-1-Online-Tutoring

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonhawk47 View Post
    Oh my bad. I misunderstood.

    Well going the cheapest route, I normally would say get a USB mic for your computer and use something like Audacity, but I have always had some horrible trouble with USB Mics. The next cheapest route, IMO, would be a inexpensive interace under $100 with an inexpensive mic under $100 (or perhaps exactly $100). It sounds like you aren't going for crazy quality right now anyway. You can worry about that down the road as you work on your delivery.

    BTW that 2Pac instrumental is exactly what I'm talking about. People have taken away the parts that are in the middle of the song (as in not panned to the left or right) and while that gets the main vocals out, you're missing the kick and snare.
    thanks this is very helpful ill take sometime to look around i guess for a decent mic. sorry it is like 2 am atm haha

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,046
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Phonetics View Post
    AudioTechnica AT2020
    Steinberg UR12
    Steinberg Cubase AI
    Mic stand
    Pop shield
    Mic cable
    Headphones
    Thanks for listing that out.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •