Question on signal path with the gear im using!!

T

tonyflames

Listen, i am no newb to the recording world but i am not the best at it either. I have good gear that i work with, i just have a curiosity question. Am im getting good quality vocal recordings,(my ear is the biggest judge but i want others opinions) when i record with my Audio Technica 4033 or GT 55 mic into my aardvark soundcard mic pres, then once it goes in i then run it out into my avalon 747 stereo compressor into my urei 1176(original blackface LN)? The urei piece tends to add a tade bit of noise. But would u guys think thats a smart or good recording chain. Also once its back into my DAW i always put my LA-2A plugin on the vocals. I know what i think but i wanna know would u guys consider a different option considering the signal is traveling through a lot of venues. I spend a lot of money on high end outboard gear but kinda slacked off on my mic selection i know. Would u guys also recommend me selling one of my mics to get the studio projects c1 instead. I have a few other mics also but they are also low end like my rode nt1. I know this is a long post but basically i am tryin to see if there is a need for me to buy an avalon 737 being that i can't test it out in the store and i really do not want to rent one. All replies are greatly greatly appreciated. And remember i am not a newb, this is just a signal chain question. Thank You everyone ahead of time for ur input. Or one more thing, would u guys imagine that i am getting a better sound, considering the only thing the 737 has over the 747 is a preamp, but the 747 is a dedicated stereo compressor and eq, so im just going elsewhere for my pre. Please only ppl that are experience with intelligent advice and answers reply. Please dont reply if u have neva heard how none of the above mention have sound and just going off of hearsay. Once again THANK YOU

that seems to me to be an unnecessary amount of compression in one chain. especially on vocals.

My recommendation would be to choose one outboard compressor, and have it pulling no more than about 3-4 Db, and then when you're mixing, use a plugin compressor, or send it out to an outboard compressor and again, pull no more than about 3-4 Db.

you could invest in a high end mic. you have some very very nice gear you're working with, but they can only sound as good as what you're putting into them, and a high end mic would make the end result sound much better. That being said, you can get excellent results with alot of mid or low range mics. Its all about finding the microphone and processor combination. for example. I recorded vocals through a focusrite red1 using a Blue Dragonfly, and then switched the mic to a SM57. In my opinion, using the same voice, the focusrite made the 57 sound better than the dragonfly.

Thank You for the replies i will check out gear slutz and what about this studio projects c1. A guy at a local studio i was doing mastering for told me that it is a good mic, i have neva heard it but he has an incredible mic closet. Would u guys recommend that mic or stand behind what he says? If not then i will start looking into a high end mic and maybe clean out my low class mic closet. Thanx for the advice guys!

Also there is no compression going into the 747 i use the eq on it and compress on my 1176 but it'll be awhile before i can afford a high end mic would u guys recommend a nuemann tlm 103 that is about the most i can spare soon since i am moving to a new place or is there something better for the price that u guys know from experience. I am not a lazy person i do a ton of research but i like to hear from experience what is good and not. Thanx guys for the help i really appreciate it.

Sup tony

After doing a little research, it seems that the C1 is a very capable vocal mic for a dirt cheap price. Can be compared (at times) to a U87!!!! From what I gather, the C1 would be the way to go. Many say that this mic should cost a lot more than is does due to its quality. Nice,ehh? Its kinda like the RNC of mics!

I wouldn't touch the 103. Look into the Gefell M930. Great mic for about $1000!

As you probably know, a great vocal mic can sound like sh*t where a cheapo vocal mic could do a great job DEPENDING on the application, voice characteristics, singing style, preamp selection, and where its recorded. You could bust out with an U87 and have it sound like sh*t when at the same time a lowend budget mic would rawk! It all just depends on a bunch of factors.

But as you're C1 choice, I am actually interested in hearing it for myself.

Last edited:
Yea i am so curious into hearing it also. But i think i really doubt myself sometimes because i have had ppl really compliment on my vocals with a marshall 990 thinking i recorded with a much more expensive mic. And these were professionals in the field, but when u put a serious pre to it u hear the difference, the noise factor. But i am truely thinking about selling my GT55 or my AT 4033 to get that mic. I have a lot of unused mics and i just like collecting them but we all were not born rich u know what i mean, lol. So RJX i'll keep you posted on if i decided to get that mic or not and how it sounds if i do. And you are not the only person who recommend that Gefell mic i have never heard of it. But lemme do some research on it and maybe get over to samash as n give it a listen. Thanx for the advice, well appreciated!

rjx said:
Sup tony

After doing a little research, it seems that the C1 is a very capable vocal mic for a dirt cheap price. Can be compared (at times) to a U87!!!!

Nahhhh, that's nonsense. The C1 is a decent mic for a very low budget, but nothing else. There's abolsulty no fricking way it will sound anything like a U87. The myth has been debunked in many forums already, and everyone who has ever tried a C1 (and knows how a U87 sound like) will confirm this.

But anyway, the AT4033 he has is probably slightly better than the C1, so that wouldn't be a step up.

I wouldn't touch the 103. Look into the Gefell M930. Great mic for about $1000!

I agree 100% with this. The M930 is an amazing mic (I have one)!

*looks at TLM 103* :(

Seriously though. Even an u87 will not do the trick in all occasions. Some people just sound better with certain microphones. If you can borrow some mics, do so and try them out to see how you like them. You'd have to try them out at your own place to avoid other equipment in the recording chain being what's affecting the signal a certain way.

I wouldn't place one compressor after the other. I might run a sound through a compressor at different stages and use eq if I need a little more character.

In the end, if it works for you then by all means do things as you're doing them.

Thanx sleepy....
I wish i could rent a few mics and take them home but thats expensive considering most places u gotta have the loote up front to replace them if ne thing happens..Do ne body know of a place that u do not have to have it up front?

Well as for my question..Do u guys believe that i need a 737 in my chain or i am achieving the same amount of results without it? just going off of the gear i use.

Thanx you guys been really helpful

I would get a 737 and use that for recording. The 1176 I'd use a mixing tool/master compressor.

I'd say most people would hold on to the 1176 over the 747 but that's your decission to make.

I'd say that unless you're looking for the specific sound of each of the two compressors you have then only one of them is necessary.

Hmm..How do u use the 1176 for mastering when its mono? I am very very curious with that, seriously cause i do mastering and i have not even thought about using it for that.

But I think ima spend my money on a apogee rosetta 200 or a lucid converter. I think if i had seroius converters i'll probably be betta off cause i hear the potential of what i have but loose quality in conversions. Thank You guys u been very helpful, now has ne body heard the lucid 9624 or the apogee rosetta 200? I know the specs on both but now im asking from real life experience. Thanx again all ur replies have been greatly appreciated.

Back