Pyramid Foam

Younggangsta_s

I'm looking into added some acoustic foam to my closet which I record in. I get too much when recording. I'm close to ordering some pyramid foam, will this help reduce the echo?

Source: foamandupholstery.com/pyramid_foam_tiles___sheets.htm#2%20Pyramid%20Foam

Last edited:
A) A closet is not (read: IS NOT) a vocal booth. It's not a "decent" vocal booth. A closet is a closet. It's good for noisy gear. Just because some "vocal booths" (and I use the term loosely) resemble a closet doesn't make a closet an acoustically sound space.

Short of complete reconstruction anyway...

B) As closets make horrifically bad recording spaces, you need a lot (A LOT) of broadband absorption to make it even remotely acceptable. Generally, that means taking out all the drywall and filling the studs with rigid, compressed insulation.

C) Foam is just short of worthless. Inexpensive, reasonable quality acoustic foam (Auralex is a fine choice) is fine for absorbing rouge flutter echo and comb filtering. That's about 5% of the problem in most rooms. The lower resonances (which, in a closet, lie smack in the middle of the baritone range) are the other 95%.

So - If you rob the ambience from the space (which foam will do fairly efficiently) the low end (again, 95% of the energy) is free to take over the space.

Put your noisy gear in the closet.

Why does everyone always say that ("So what you're saying is that the foam will work")? I never even inferred such a thing.

The foam will reduce the ambience, which will make the low end (which is the real problem) even worse. It's a bad idea.

The good idea would be to record in the room and put the noisy gear in the closet. It's not like the closet is going to prevent transmission (again, without being rebuilt almost completely).

You'd be way better off being out in the room (about a third) facing out and surrounded by blankets. And that's not saying much - But undoubtedly, it's going to be better than cramming yourself into a resonant chamber with no top end ambience.

Bascally, your stuff may somewhat reduce, abeit lightly, aome of one problem but at the same time, cause you more of another problem on the back end, nuff said. In short, like my esteemed frined above said, just adjust your ishto the room itself, possbily in a corner AWY the the noisey gear (in the closet), in opposite side of the room. I saw in Scratch (R.I.P.) where Marlo Polo had his set up that way, with the foam or whatever in the corner surrounding the mic.

^^^ i seen the same thing and thought he was crazy (i'm pissed scratch canceled i had a subscription).
massive are you saying that closets are bad for recording because the walls dont have enough mass? Or simply because the measurements? Just wondering.

The measurements are terrible - *and* the construction makes them even more terrible.

As I've mentioned before (maybe not in this thread), there *are* closet-sized "vocal booths" (not good ones, but "sorta" booths for lack of a better term). But you might notice that they aren't constructed in any fasihon even remotely similar to a closet in a home.

^^ So do you have any inexspensive alternatives to the advice you stated earlier, cause I saw in a house thatI rent, and I dont think that tey would take kindly to redoing anythingin their house lol.

I think I made reasonable suggestions several times in just the previous posts in this thread.

But it seems as if no matter what anyone says, people who saw some guy in a movie build a "vocal booth" in a closet are going to build a vocal booth in a closet.

MASSIVE Mastering said:
I think I made reasonable suggestions several times in just the previous posts in this thread.

But it seems as if no matter what anyone says, people who saw some guy in a movie build a "vocal booth" in a closet are going to build a vocal booth in a closet.

Sorry, not tying to piss you off, i did go back and read your earlier posts, and I intend to take yuor advice wholeheartedly and make use of it, thank you.

You might want to use the search function - Or get any source on basic acoustics. Closets are not, and were never meant to be vocal booths. They're small, resonant chambers. And the usual resonant problems (which are absolutely gigantic in such a tiny space) are concentrated in the baritone range.

Basically, if you use acoustic foam to treat your closet, you will reduce early reflections in the higher frequency spectrum. This might sound like a good thing to do, but reducing these equates to a boost in the lower/low mid freqs, which is where most of the problems in a space of this nature are prevalent. So using this treatment for your closet will not give you better vocals, but will actually make it harder to get a good result. All your vocals will boom as a result of boosting the energy of the problem frequencies.

Younggangsta_s said:
Thank you above. Massive, you could have just explained it, your post was almost as long as his without answering the question.

Actually if you run a search of Massive's name you'll see he spends more time explaining the answer to your question than all most anything else.

My man Moses.

Pase said:
Actually if you run a search of Massive's name you'll see he spends more time explaining the answer to your question than all most anything else.
You could've also answered the question in the space you wasted.

Last edited:
Back