Professional Audio Mastering vs Instant/Automatic 'Mastering' (Landr)

Red Mastering

Red Mastering Studio
Hey guys,
I wrote short article about the subject. I think this is interesting and important as well for end customer (artist) to understand what it really is.

Instant/Automatic 'Mastering' isn't equal to Professional Audio Mastering, what more - service offered by Landr, and similar is just a part of Mastering Process, involves just audio processing, but omitting other very important aspects.

check it here

"Nowadays, you may see many online services offering instant and automatic mastering services beside audio mastering studios doing it the old-fashioned way.Red Mastering Studio (onlinemastering.org.uk) offers professional mastering services using internet tools ONLY for uploading/downloading your work and communications. The work itself is not done instantly by a software, but by a human sound engineer using special studio equipment. We have prepared compared these two mastering jobs, so you can understand the differences and choose the best solution for your mastering inquiries.Instant/automatic mastering is only a small part of entire process (audio processing with focus on creating loud master). "

I would advise DON'T. Nothing compares to a human caring for your song. The end result is supposed to be enjoyed by humans NOT A.I. My 2 cents. :cool:

Hey guys,
I wrote short article about the subject. I think this is interesting and important as well for end customer (artist) to understand what it really is.

Instant/Automatic 'Mastering' isn't equal to Professional Audio Mastering, what more - service offered by Landr, and similar is just a part of Mastering Process, involves just audio processing, but omitting other very important aspects.

check it here

"Nowadays, you may see many online services offering instant and automatic mastering services beside audio mastering studios doing it the old-fashioned way.Red Mastering Studio (onlinemastering.org.uk) offers professional mastering services using internet tools ONLY for uploading/downloading your work and communications. The work itself is not done instantly by a software, but by a human sound engineer using special studio equipment. We have prepared compared these two mastering jobs, so you can understand the differences and choose the best solution for your mastering inquiries.Instant/automatic mastering is only a small part of entire process (audio processing with focus on creating loud master). "

Some people resort to software engineering audio because they the don't understand the value of having song mastered the right way. Others are forced to because they have no money or were told to get some mastering software because it was all the really needed. After all, mastering with software is cheap; which is why almost some peoples music sounds cheap. There is value in a lot of music out there though, we don't have to listen to the cheap stuff. I'm for real mastering engineers even though I know some who'd disagree.

This AI mastering makes no sense to me. There are no gear or color choices to be made and honestly sound no better than ozone which sounds like absolute sh-t in comparison to higher end plug ins or real gear.

While I completely agree that real mastering involves a lot more than simply boosting the volume as much as possible, and that there is no way that any automated software mastering system will ever truly understand the artistic elements of music, we must also understand that times do change and people's expectations and tastes change. Now, with the number of readily available ways to record, loop, remix, program, etc. music in free or inexpensive systems that produce reasonably good quality sound, so many people can now be "musicians". This large new group of musicians find themselves producing decent sounding songs in a fast, easy, and inexpensive manner. So, it's no surprise that they would also look for mastering solutions that follow this same pattern. There are definitely still a good number of people who worked long and hard to develop their craft, and they will definitely take the time to search for a qualified professional to assist them with mixing and mastering their material. But, in addition to those folks (who've always been there), we now have this very large new group of artists who don't see that as a necessary requirement to producing their songs. This is a fact of the modern world and, unfortunately, it's driving some of the definitions and standards along with it. Twenty years ago the vast majority of people wouldn't even consider shopping at an online site like Amazon - how could it possibly be trustworthy? Now, Amazon is the largest shopping destination in the world. The nature of "shopping" and its meaning has morphed with the population.
Expect the same to happen with mixing and mastering. But, not to worry, there will always be those to whom the art of this profession is still important - too important to turn over to an automated system.

Back