Producers Role

Torrio

Now when I produce a song, I want to be there through the whole process as far as making the track, recording the vocals for the artists and I want to be the one to mix the song as well.

Many producers these days do not do this. What are everyone's feelings on this?
Should a "producer" of a song be there from start to finish or is just sending beats in mp3 through email acceptable?

theres a diff. between producer and beatmaker. basically do w.e u want if your allowed to.

Last edited:
My opinion is NO you should not be there during the whole process. My view may differ from most on this site, but as an engineer I would hate the producer of the track looking over my shoulder as I work. I am sure it would be the same for a M.E. if I was watching over his should as he worked. The track should be handed off at each stage and allow that person to do what they do best. Once the track is recorded then the artist and producer are out of the picture. Then the audio engineer works on the track and does his or her thing. Next you hand it to the M.E. and the engineer is out of the picture. The best product happens when everyone is allowed to do what they do best.

Last edited by a moderator:
during the recording process the producer should be there...
but then you as a professional artist and professional producer should have a network of professional mix engineers and professional mastering engineers your trust with your work and pass it on ... now the producer should review the work once done and either approve of it or ask the mixing engineer hey can you put more reverb on this on that...

but the game now is alot of producers are also mixing engineers
myself too
but I would never,ever,never,ever master my own stuff....
fresh ears...fresh professional song,including tracking list encoding for CD,vinyl presssing

as a producer I want to produce a whole project maybe a couple songs produced by a few others....

All good points!
You hardly ever see 1 producer on a whole album anymore like Quincy did Michael Jackson's Thriller. I kinda miss that but diversity is also nice.

I think puff daddy was more of a every stage producer but then again that's a executive producer

When I get hired as a producer the client always hires me to mix it too. I have some producers, and artists, who come to me for damn near everything they do. However, I guess talking about the what I do as a producer might be irrelevant. So, I guess I'll talk about why producers come to me. Producers come to me for my ability to create a solid mix, my taste and creativity, my ears, my experience and my knowledge. With that said, most producers aren't present during the tedious work. I always sit down with them after I get a solid mix and show them, and ask them to let me know of any changes they'd like. The most common will be the level of the vocals (which is actually pretty rare for me). But I will take notes, but also (usually) do those changes with them present. When they are satisfied, they get the Master Recording. Then they have their own mastering engineers that they send it too, or they ask me to master it, which I will do, but I like to let someone else master projects.

All good points!
You hardly ever see 1 producer on a whole album anymore like Quincy did Michael Jackson's Thriller. I kinda miss that but diversity is also nice.

Sure you do. Just not in Hip Hop.

Quincy Jones did not track or mix or master Thriller.

Great thread... Im completely new to music production... used to play in bands in my teens but that was a few years back now...

Since then iv been a DJ and only go into production last year...

Just completed my first production and I wrote, recorded, arranged, mixed (and a very light master) all myself... but always wondered what todays 'producers' actual role is...

I guess I assumed they own/control the whole process... but maybe not...

Too be honest....... I want too be there for everything. Just so i see how people work. Plus.... YES i mean PLUS! I'm going too put my two centz in, because your not, or they not going to make my muzic not good!!!!! UNEXCEPTABLE!!!!!!!! My bad. Hello everyone, i've been gone for a min, didn't have internet, doing bad, but nevermind that. I need too be there, not too grill the artist, but make sure he or she or them make it right with 110% into it.

The term producer can be taken in two different ways. Originally, the producer would be the middle man between labels, executives, recording studios, and bands/musicians. Today, beat makers are also called producers. Now, lets talk about who should be in the studio and handling the recording, mixing, and mastering process.

I'm an Audio Engineer, Producer and Beat Maker in Houston. Personally, I would prefer not to do all of those jobs on one project because the approach to perform each job is different; this can delay the completion of a project. As a producer I focus my attention the to things like the productivity, efficiency quality, budget, etc. The producer is the one that makes sure that the project is finished on time and within budget. An Audio Engineer's primary focus should be on the sound quality of the production from start to finish. Generally, engineers create space within a stereo field for each individually recorded track. So as an engineer I focus on uses technical skill to bring out the best artistic sound of the project. When I put on my beat making hat, the goal is to be a contributing member of the band; even if the only members are you and the artist. Kind of like a drummer or a keyboard player. Beat Makers are there throughout the writing process but shouldn't be in control of mixing and/or mastering unless that person is qualified.

It's seems to me that some people want to do too much when I come to making music which is why I try not to over work the process. Projects get done faster when the people involved focus on doing what they do best. People do their best work when they can focus on one thing at a time. At least, that's what I believe.

I think it depends entirely on the style of music. For example most Dance producers will mix their music as well as produce it because of the nature of the music - electronic. They will be the best people to mix because they know exactly what sound they want especially since they've crafted many of their sounds from scratch.

A rock producer.. a different story.

Some great thoughts coming out on this post...

ProducerJC - great reply, defo puts things into perspective!

i can say yes and No..but there ISSS a difference between beatmakers and producers ..i myself am in a situation where i am the producer and engineer...i would rather be there when the track gets laid down for a few reasons...1. i want to make sure that the track is bein used correctly 2 alot of "rappers" these days are very novice at recording and dont know how to do shit but rap on da mic.. 3 if need be i can edit something to cater to a track on the spot..and last but not least.. I need a copy ! but really its on you..if you want to be there thru the entire process and you can make it happen y let anything stop you. they tell you cant b there then dont sell'm the beat..itz a dirty dirty biz..:monkey:

It really depends on the producer..

But as far as being there thru the whole process, I would say I would make the beat and I would record the vocals, I know some producers just send the beat off and be like here which is cool
because of so much clientele, case in point (lex luger, vybe, jj) which are really in my opinon beatmakers....

But on a major project like a album or so I would want to be there to give my input on how the artist can better reach their potential on a track. Thats what producing its all about being hands on with your client and being able to vibe with your client. As far as the mixing goes some producers know how to do it all and some dont. For me im in the mist of learning how to mix and stuff, but I would just track it all out and send it to my engineer. I would like to stand over someones shoulder and tell them I would like this snare to have more pop to it, or my bass to be just a lil bit louder but some ppl cant work like that and I am one of them (sometimes). I like to go at my own pace and being able to feel the track.

I would say it depends on the certain track or certain song you produce.. cause Ive had times when artist come to me and be like hey let me get this track and Ill send them a mp3 of the track get my money and never hear from them again. Then theres been times were ive actually been in a studio telling the artist how I would like him to sound on this part and what not and also stayed there while the mixing was going on directing that.. so it depends on how you feel and stuff...Real Good post!!!!..

Back