Producer / Engineer ( Hip Hop ) seeking superior opinions on mixes!

Donta Black

Hi, I go by the name of Donta Black and I find it that id perfer to mix my own music after I create somethan being to a studio when watchin another engineer mix my music and it wasn't even wat I was visioning.

that was a way back but since then i've been striving to getbetter quality mixes and im asking for seconds of a couple of you superior dudes time to click on a couple of my beats and jus judge my mixing
let me know where you think I stand or if I have a bad habit going or somethan.

A Few Of My Instrumentals

Thanks in advance.

D blk music

Low end of almost all the beats needs to be cleaned up just a little I know that bass is very important in hiphop but roll off just a little. I played the first couple of songs and they are pretty typical of what I hear in hip hop with everyone else ( big synths, hard drums ect ) but your putting a mastering comp/limiter on everything and hitting them way 2 hard with it making them unenjoyable to play. I know everyone and there mom has a cracked version of waves these days but you dont have to smash everything with the L3 and if you do learn a little about RMS not dbfs so you dont kill our ears.

To sum up yes you have talent, i would like the tracks more if you dint have them so loud, a little cleaner on the lowend would do wonders ( maybe take off that maxxbass ) and keep at it.

just a little to much bass, you have some good music tho, very diverse, sound synths tend to clash, my theroy on this is to cut what you boast, so if you boast a synth up at around 4k, cut a similar sounding thing by 4k to kind of even everything out, the more boasting you do the more cluttered the frequencies get making it very shitty, overall pretty damn good son

@ Solacerodgers Thank you man I've gotten caught up on that website im on the loudest beat seems to edge out wins on the site.

I use T - Racks also when I maximized and im going to look into RMS more Morning Star Enlightened me but I guess I Have to really get on it.

@ Adlib311 yea for some reason I have a bass problem especailly mixing basslines with kicks also I will try that droppin freqs. technique when boosting...

I thank both of you I am serious about my craft and want to get better.

I don't know much about side compression but to prevent my bassline from clashing with my kicks could I use that?

Keep your shit loud, i think solar does different type of music, for hip hop you want to crunch the shit out of it, sadly its all about whos shit is louder at times.

What your talking about is called side chaining and the only issuse with that is sometimes using it on the lows makes a sucking or ducked noise instead of a clean lowend like your after.

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

Yes you want it loud but hip hop mastered has a RMS value of around -12 or so and thats professional radio or cd stuff his music is louder than that and its not louder wins the war. I know hip hop needs to hit and I have been working with it for years but when it gets to the point that its not enjoyable to listen to due to the volume and causes ear fatigue then there is a problem. Also if this makes it to radio or cd they will again maximize it and squash it more trying to get more volume out of it thus ending up with worse track.

Back