Pro Tools 12 UPGRADE!

titalwaves

I currently have Pro Tools Express installed to my laptop for my recording needs.
A few months ago this DAW began to not work properly due to the fact that it is no longer supported.
I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 & well...the rest is history.
Long story short, I am searching for the cheapest, legit link to Pro Tools 12 as an upgrade.
No jailbreaks, cracks, or patches apply...I am only interested in remaining legit.
Thanks in advance.

Have you considered Pro Tools First - which is free - just to see if it's enough? It's pretty limited of course...but hey, at least it doesn't get any cheaper than that.

I've used Pro Tools since 2009 and have two levels of certification on it.

Even though I own Pro Tools 11 free and clear, I'm tempted by other DAWs. If I didn't have it and wanted to record audio, I'd probably go with Reaper. But the capabilities of Ableton are intriguing.

Pro Tools is slow to adapt, and Avid buries problems far more often than you'd think.

I'm working with both, Pro Tools and Ableton. Both have their strengths and their weaknesses. I wouldn't want to trade one for the other, but if I had to choose only one, I would probably go with Pro Tools. I find myself using a lot more shortcuts in Pro Tools than in Ableton, mainly because they just make more sense and are laid out more ergonomicly. Abletons session view is great for cranking out ideas fast. And sound design wise you can really go deep with Ableton's racks.

But to answer your initial question: If you can get an EDU version, that would of course be the cheapest solution (like mentioned above). If you don't, then try to get a Fast Track Solo interface with Pro Tools Express. And then upgrade to a full version from there. At least in here in Germany you can save around 200 bucks compared to buying Pro Tools directly. And you have a (cheap) interface which you can use for travel or sell (in which case you can save even more).

Is PT 12 subscription based? I feel like that would affect pricing in the long run. I'd suggest PT first before paying though. With that, you wouldn't have to wait while looking.

You can also keep an eye on the software section of Sweetwater to see when a sale is available!

Thanks for the quick feedback from all you guys...That was dope!
Yes, I currently own a Fast Track Solo interface; This came equipped w/ Pro Tools Express, but that DAW no longer works.
After I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 I was unable to get it to work correctly.

At this stage I have been looking into the $99 Pro Tools 12 but what I am trying to understand is what do they mean by the term "subscription".
Does that mean that my purchase is on valid for a year or so? Someone enlighten me.
Note- I've already downloaded Pro Tools First a few weeks ago; in my opinion it is trash

Subscription = you pay a fee annually, but you get free updates (not 100% sure about the updates, but that's usually how it goes). Not sure how much the fee is.

In this case, the subscription is simply to use the software, not for the upgrade plan. I'm not happy, and I imagine many others aren't as well.

It's $30 per month to use Pro Tools 12. Or $300/yr, if you make an annual commitment. Otherwise, you can purchase it for $600, which includes one year of updates. If you want updates after that year, you have to pay $300/yr to extend your subscription to updates.

In other news, I just read that I can easily bounce a track as is without soloing it and bouncing the entire session. And that there is an easy import function. Assuming this can be done on virtual instrument tracks, this removes all interest I had in Pro Tools 12. It may not be true track freezing, but it sounds pretty close.

Is Ableton compatible w/ Windows?
If not, I may purchase Pro Tools 11 since it would be a tad bit cheaper.
IDK...I just hate the fact that it is subscription based.
SMH

Is Ableton compatible w/ Windows?
If not, I may purchase Pro Tools 11 since it would be a tad bit cheaper.
IDK...I just hate the fact that it is subscription based.
SMH

Ableton works with both OSX & Win.

There's also a perpetual license for PT, so subscription isn't the only option.

Ableton works with both OSX & Win.

There's also a perpetual license for PT, so subscription isn't the only option.

Sorry if I come off ignorant to the fact, but can you post direct purchase links to the options that I have?
Albeton, PT, etc.
Thanks

Last edited:
Here are the Pro Tools options:
Pro Tools store

Although I'm not sure if that Express license is good for anything anymore - you might be better off asking straight from Avid for the lowdown. I was under the impression that you could still upgrade from Express to PT11, so if that's true, then you could maybe find a PT11 upgrade and then go to 12 from there.

Ableton's pricing structure for Live is much simpler:
Ableton shop

Basically there's only Intro, which is feature-limited and the regular Live. Suite is the same as the regular one with extra sounds and instruments.

Definitely check out Sweetwater's store too. They'll show prices for both Pro Tools and Ableton, and have breakout options for all your upgrade choices. They have academic pricing too. And, if you buy through a sales contact instead of online, and if you're buying a bunch of things together, you can almost always get a package price.

For what it's worth, if you buy the boxed version of Pro Tools, they include a 2nd gen iLok. That's $50 saved.

Pro Tools still has perpetual licenses. I have one with Pro Tools 11, and you can get one with Pro Tools 12 for $600. But ... what missing features are they going to include in the next version that will compel you to upgrade? It would cost $300 for me to upgrade from 11 to 12, which seems mighty steep.

I did see mention somewhere of an Avid annual license for $100. I'm not sure what it is for, but that might be worth looking into. Maybe that's if you're already current with your perpetual license?

Pro Tools and Ableton both worth with Windows and Mac. No distinguishing point there. It sounds like Ableton has the advantage for quickly getting down digital ideas through the piano roll and virtual instruments, while Pro Tools has the advantage for audio recording and flexibility with audio tracks. Certainly makes comping vocals easier. I don't view Avid's stock plugins as comprehensive - how comprehensive are Ableton's?

If I were you, I'd choose between the two based on what kind of work you do: primarily audio recording, like a rock band? Aim for Pro Tools. Primarily virtual instruments, like an electronic artist? Aim for Ableton. Both can do the other competently, just not quite as slick and full-featured.

Back