preamp upgrade

dansta2k

Hi im looking to upgrade my pre to an FMR RNP but im not too sure yet.

Currently im using a Drawmer MX60 channel strip as my preamp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drawmer-MX60-Front-End-One?sku=180398

I dont use the channel strip effects often as i do it all in the DAW and 2 micpres on the FMR is not essential.

I read massive mentioning he prefers the sound of the RNP vs Avalon pre's most of the time and a quote like that is very promising. Basically what im trying to get at is whether the RNP will make a big difference compared to the drawmer mx60; although i guess that not many people have used an mx60 I can provide samples with a RODE nt2a mic or Joe Meek JM47a if necessary.

Kind Regards

You might want to look into the True P-Solo in that case (I still prefer that slightly over the RNP). Very nice unit.

A little better than lateral (IMO). The Drawmer has a lot in the chain that (IMO) shouldn't be there during tracking. The P-Solo is going to give you a more transparent front end. Possibly a little cleaner headroom also.

thanks massive; unfortunately i dont have the same variety of choices as you guys(as i live in NZ) so i may have to go with an RNP; i guess i was expecting a super increase in sound quality by upgrading to an RNP but i guess if its not goin to be too much of a difference i may upgrade my mic instead .

Last edited:
What's your budget for an upgrade? The RNP holds it's own extremely well in that price range so unless you step it up quite a bit, I believe getting a pre with a different sonic character may suit you better than a full on 'upgrade'.

Last edited:
my budget will be about 2 grand - I dont think im at the level where I can pick the right preamp and mic combination for an artist so im not too sure whether havin a diff preamp would be of much use untill later; do you know anyone who may have vocal samples of the RNP ?

Back