Please need help with sub-bass volume

n777l

I am producing a trapstep track and I have compared the finished track with tracks from bigger artists and I noticed that my bass is too low when it drops, I compared it to Jackal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa7sn0LGSqo

His bass (when at the drop 0:40) is much louder then my bass. -

The problem: When I raise the volume to make the bass match his track it only gets too.... bassy, like in a uncomfortable way.

I tried:
Compressing it but it doesn't really help.

The bass I used is from Nexus -> Bass -> BA Basic Sine

But the bass that Jackal used got more character to it... like it's a mix of subbass and higher frequencies...

What should I do? Should I maybe change the bass and use some other bass vst?

What do you think Jackal used when creating that sort of bass?

Can you recommend any good bass vst that can be used for trapstep and bass songs?

For some reason: All trapstep songs got the same level of bass... are the producers following some sort of universal thing that I am missing out on? Also trapsteps are much lower on volume than dubstep/house tracks... do anyone know why?

EDIT: I use FL studio as DAW.

Last edited:
post your bass as well. Much easier for people to help you when they hear what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Hey
you can do more than one thing. But it depends on what is the problam when you raise the Bass Volume.

Basicly If you raise Bass Volume it sholudn't make a problam if no other instru does not compete with the same frequency..
So You can cut all the other instruments under 200Hz ..
other hand, if you are having a prob with the Bass and BD .. you can do SideChain On the Bass for every time the BD Hit.. with compression of course..

Have a Nice day..

O-T

most good bass lines are played by a mix of sub-bass (lowest octave) and another bass sound played an octave higher - this gives definition and colour to the line whilst maintaining the bottom end. Adding distortion is one way to achieve this.

Eq'ing everything so that you cut everything below 200Hz is not sensible as you begin to come into the range of most ordinary acoustic instruments and definitely male voices and singing - this belief that you should sculpt a place for your sounds in the frequency spectrum is mis-informed and can create far more problems than it actually fixes.

What I meant is that maybe some of the bass frerquencies compete with other instruments.. and that if you'll try and see whitch instruments competet with it. you can try cut it below 100-200Hz . But all this you try, it's not safe will solve the problem..

Why did you add a compressor? If its too bassy, a compressor isnt helping, all a compressor does is take a low sound and make that low sound play at the same loudness level as your other instruments (or louder if its already loud) which causes a muddy bottom end. Take the compressor off, bring the slider up, reduce volume in areas cutting into it, and like previous people said, try EQing out the highs and mids, and check to make sure there isnt something else in the same range

you misunderstand what a compressor does - it is for making louder sounds softer.

Some folks do use them to make softer sounds louder, by using makeup gain, but the fundamental use of a compressor is to make the differences between the dynamic extremes of a sound less pronounced - by knocking the amplitude off the loud end of the signal, rather than boosting the low end.

still reckon we need some audio to know exactly what the problem is - i.e. before and after your efforts to improve the bottom end; a snippet will suffice as long as there is enough to hear the issues

Hmm, well you learn something new every day. This may be why I cant hear one of my bassline wobbles in ableton right now xD Ill check and see. Its possible that has something to do with it, because I have been using it as a low sound upper xD

Are you EQing the bass? I EQ my basses, cuting them below 30 hz, so I "clean" a bit the subs, so if I raise the volume, it doesn't sound that "bassy". Maybe you could try to EQ the bass so you can clean up a little bit everything that happens in the sub freqs

just use a different bass, sine is horrible and fkd up a lot of mixes.

for example, nexus also has a lot of saw basses. you can tweek the cut off knob to get the sound you want.
try to get off the sine and use saws or other squared bases, they have more character anyway.

Back