Phase issues from raw VSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthony abdo

Hello Friends,

I hope I can find some elaboration on an issue I'm noticing lately.

When I load a VST (like Ivory Pianos, Lacrimosa Choir, Spitfire Strings Ensemble) and I check its phase (via phase meter), weirdly enough I get a negative correlation value. I was wondering... isn't it weird? When I narrow the stereo imagining (narrow towards mono), the phase issue will tend to disappear (obvious). Is this normal to happen with reputable VST brands?

Also, I start noticing these phase issues with international artists, please check a song on youtube called Slip Away by Ruelle (sorry I can't post a link because my account is new)
The piano in the intro is out of phase! Phase meter correlation is indicating minus values in some parts, also, when you turn the output into mono, you sense that the piano sound is fading!

Am I missing something here?

Thank you guys!

I'm not sure what you mean by "the vst is 'out of phase,'" as of course it would be a pafticular sound (preset or tweak) that would be out of phase with other track elements.

But if I do understand your question in general-- Yes, commercial recordings will have phase issues to varying degrees, from ridiculous (probably because they were recorded/produced by folks who have no clue), to mild (because of intended delays, chorusing, doubling/track offset, etc.). One reason why it's still good to check mixes in mono.

So as with everything in music and audio-- "It Depends."

GJ

Phase need to constantly be monitored, not just by the a particular sound but your overall mix should be in phase. Phasing happens when similar wave frequencies cross one another. Spend more time panning and EQing your pans, work with buses and auxiliaries to get control of phase artifacts. Or, simply, try another sound. Although, it will likely bee out of phase too, especially of your picking sounds that can be difficult to work with; such as all of the ones you listed at the start of this thread.

why do you guys have to make music so nerdy and shit

Can't speak for anyone else here, but I'll try to answer this because I'm working on something online right now anyhow. You seem to have a childlike mindset when it comes to intentionally making good audio quality for listeners. It's cool though, I'll answer this rhetorical question nonetheless.

To dumb it down for you; it sounds nerdy because we're smart, skilled and professional audio people.

Why thread if you don't like the discussion, there are other topics on FP you may enjoy more?

I'm a nerd because I don't think its cool to be ignorant, flat out stupid or malicious. Companies hire me to get the right mix for them because they like way their equipment sounds when I'm there. Also, I prefer to be me 24/7, so I nerd out about things that are interesting and not just entertaining. I also install residential and commercial sound systems for various venues and clients in the Houston area. I'm telling you this from experience, it pays to know your stuff. Also currently, I'm an Audio Engineer for LiveNation at House of Blues, not to mention the web developer and professionals sales skills I use to help independent musicians with their struggles. Oh, and I'm a top sales rep at Guitar Center here in Houston as well. Can't forget about Rhino Staging where I help make concerts happen for people like Drake, Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne, etc. My next move will include training and teaching people how to make real money in this business, enough to pay bills and live. One more thing, I also work with churches not only in sound but on the entire productions for services. So yes, I'm a nerd looking for more to geek out about. You should copy me so you can get a good grade on your next test. It won't help your career, but it's your best shot a passing the Audio Exam your not taking seriously enough; and, don't seem ready for. Be nerd, it's better than taking the foolish path.

Can't speak for anyone else here, but I'll try to answer this because I'm working on something online right now anyhow. You seem to have a childlike mindset when it comes to intentionally making good audio quality for listeners. It's cool though, I'll answer this rhetorical question nonetheless.

To dumb it down for you; it sounds nerdy because we're smart, skilled and professional audio people.

Why thread if you don't like the discussion, there are other topics on FP you may enjoy more?

I'm a nerd because I don't think its cool to be ignorant, flat out stupid or malicious. Companies hire me to get the right mix for them because they like way their equipment sounds when I'm there. Also, I prefer to be me 24/7, so I nerd out about things that are interesting and not just entertaining. I also install residential and commercial sound systems for various venues and clients in the Houston area. I'm telling you this from experience, it pays to know your stuff. Also currently, I'm an Audio Engineer for LiveNation at House of Blues, not to mention the web developer and professionals sales skills I use to help independent musicians with their struggles. Oh, and I'm a top sales rep at Guitar Center here in Houston as well. Can't forget about Rhino Staging where I help make concerts happen for people like Drake, Taylor Swift, Lil Wayne, etc. My next move will include training and teaching people how to make real money in this business, enough to pay bills and live. One more thing, I also work with churches not only in sound but on the entire productions for services. So yes, I'm a nerd looking for more to geek out about. You should copy me so you can get a good grade on your next test. It won't help your career, but it's your best shot a passing the Audio Exam your not taking seriously enough; and, don't seem ready for. Be nerd, it's better than taking the foolish path.

it was a joke. relax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back