Panning. How to do it right?

I've heard some differing opinions on panning. What do you think is the general consensus on panning. Is there anything creating that can be done instead?

radical opinion

pan as you need to but don't bother with stereo sources as they are already panned; i.e. if you are going to pan the stereo source do it in the vst/sample player rather than at your mixer unless you set it to be centered in the same.

I hate to say it man but it really just depends on what is going on in your track. What I like to do is try to position everything as if I was standing on stage behind a band. Where would this guy playing keys stand? Or this guy on the violin? Like with drums, kick and snare are usually in the center, and everything else is panned around them like a drumset,

I dont mind panning things completely left and/or completely right and everywhere inbetween. Whats important is balance, you should use your ears to determine this.

Use a stereo separator like the one in Fl studio and separate different instruments by different amounts so they aren't all in the same space...
keep some things centered tho, like your kick drum, snare and low freqs of your bassline...

I dont mind panning things completely left and/or completely right and everywhere inbetween. Whats important is balance, you should use your ears to determine this.

I totally agree. I don't think there are any problems regarding a 100% pan in an instrument (it's highly useful when you want an instrument to stand out without taking away the attention from the center), as long as there is stereo balance, in both frequency and volumes.

need a little help here.

I'm sorry y'all... but can someone elucidate more on sterio ballance... I may know wat it is,,, but may not know it's called sterio ballance. thanks.

I think what they mean is make sure one side isn't too prominent volume wise or frequency wise (compared to the other). If you've ever listened to a song with a bad stereo balance, you'll feel it in one of your ears. It almost will feel like an OCD thing, if that's a familiar feeling. But everybody except the most open of listeners will hear that and think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I, for example, wouldn't put a super high pitched whistle hard left if there was nothing to balance it out on the right. And I try to make sure whatever is balancing it isn't on the complete other side of the frequency spectrum, because the high whistle still tends to bother me. But I am a perfectionist and not a very good mixer to start with, so that's just me.

Back