Pan law and its effects when go to mono

musicfirexate

Hello to everyone,

I'd kindly like to ask some questions about pan laws. I have made a research through the web but I'd like to open this topic to discuss about pan law and its effects to the final mix or mastering.

I use the -3 db center option and always check my mixes in mono for phasing issues and also to hear how would my mix sound in a mono device. When I "monoing" I could hear a small attenuation of the overall signal comparing to the stereo. On the other hand when I export the same mixdown and listening to it through the pc (outside the DAW) and monoing my audio interface then I see that the audio is louder and sometimes clipping. Why is this happening? Let's assume that my audio interface do not compensate level when monoing, then what about an external mono audio device let's say in a car or a phone etc. How will the mono device "translate" the stereo input? Will it add loudness as my audio interface or the pan law will "follow" the audio clip always?

I have also noticed that when i use the built in mono-interleave button in Cakewalk in a track it is ok but when I monoing the Master Bus and my individual tracks remain in stereo then the meters of the individual tracks exceed the 0 dBfs reference point but I can't hear any noticeable clipping distortion.

Last edited:
Just a few thoughts to consider:

* Start with track faders lower. Don’t have track faders hot and then try to compensate with your master faders; do the opposite.

* Calibrate all meters with test tones, white/pink noise, and music. Then see if you are still having issues...

GJ

Back