Opinions On The Best Mic Preamp For $500-600??

F

Frantikns

Im Looking To Up The Par On My Setup, And I Was Told Getting A "good" Preamp Is About As Important As The Mic It Self, So I'm Gonna Get The Preamp First, Then A New Mic.... I Have A Rode Nt1-a And A Shure Ksm-27... Gonna Be Getting Either The Shure Sm7b Or The Ev Re20... And My Interface Is An Emu 0404.. So Im Curious To Know Ur Opinions On The Best Mic Preamp To Run Thru The Emu For $500-600??? Im Currently Looking Into The Grace 101 And True P-solo... Let Me Know What Yall Think. Oh And If Some Of Yall Think I Should Get The Mic, Then The Preamp, Let Me Know... Peace/blessings

- Frantik
Irate Records

If I had to put together the best vocal chain for under $1k, it'd very likely be a SM7b through a P-Solo. Very hard to beat (even at several times the price).

word... thanks, i ALWAYS appreciate ur input, as you can OBVIOUSLY tell by the choices i posted haha thats like the MASSIVE Mastering special lol. but yea thats the way im thinking about going, SM7B (although the re20 looks cooler lol) into the p-solo thru the emu... but what do you think i should get first? cuz theres gonna be quite a few months before i get the other half, so what would you suggest to get first? if i get the mic first it'll be recording strait into the emu 0404 usb, or if i get the preamp first it'll going into the emu and i'll be recording with like i said before mainly a shure ksm27.... all input is appreciated

BY THE WAY, IM RECORDING HIPHOP.... WITH REALLY AGGRESIVE MC'S (FOR THE MOST PART). YOU CAN CHECK SOME OF ME AND MY LABELS STUFF AT MYSPACE.COM/FRANTIKTHEGOD

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the preamp first. It's going to completely change the sound of the 27 (for the better, IMO) and you might find it to be too sensitive for the aggressive guys. But you can get around that to some extent.

word... no doubt, any other opinions? oh and masssive, what exactly do you mean by "too sensitive"?

Just what it sounds like - Too sensitive.

A lot of condensers are so freakishly sensitive that they can pick up a mouse passing gas in the corner. And that's fine for some applications -- But when people are right up on a mic like that, talking loudly / yelling / screaming at it -- Then wondering why it doesn't sound right later...

They might be able to take the heat with transients (on paper), but more sensitivity is not always a good thing. If you're trying to pick up the subtle nuances of a harpists fingers brushing across the catgut, then sure. If you're trying to capture someone whacking a floor tom, maybe not.

Back