one shot drum sample sounds

drought

so today i was picking drum sounds out of some drum kits that i download and i was selecting some kicks and snares and some hihats and i was layering them. so my question is should drum hits sound good before you mix them?(eq, compressor etc) should i be happy with the sounds i select b4 i mix them or is it mixing which gets the sound where you want it to be? or should i be selecting better one shot drum samples?

any help would be great thanks

You should definitely find/blend the right drum sounds/vibe you have in mind before mixing. Mixing can only fix and/or enhance so much. If the intended sound isn't there to behind with, there is only so much mixing can do to change that.

If the kits are professionally made then, yes, they should sound good before you try to layer them with others samples

EQ, compression, etc will have all been done before the kit is shipped by a pro company - very few people want you to hear their raw sound.

this does not mean that you cannot rescue poorer quality samples, just that you can expect to spend a lot of time getting it right.

Pro tip, work on each sample independently of the others - that way you know when it is sounding the way you want it to, rather than guessing which sample needs the work all the way through

A lot of times these days, sample packs will come pre mixed so you dont have to do much to them. The only reason that anyone would do extra work to them is to maybe get them to fit into the mix better. Its all up to the producer. You have to know what you want the drums to do like do they need punch or do they need low end? Once you know what you are looking for there are plenty of tutorial videos online that teach you how to structure your drums properly. just go to google and type in "making drums tutorials"

Back