Neuman U87ai or Rode NT2000?

G

Gxlegacy

I have not had the chance to listen to source material recorded with these two microphones. I know that the Neuman U87 is an industry standard, but I've heard and read alot of great reviews for the much much much cheaper Rode NT2000 (and the very similar and even cheaper Rode NT2A).

Here's my question, do any FP members have experience with these two mics and if so what has your experience been and how would you rate the performance of each mic?

PEACE

Last edited by a moderator:
The U87 is a legendaric mic, but the U87ai isn't the same mic. The sound is rather different due to other components. The NT2000 isn't definitly in the same league. The NT2a is known as a good budget mic, but neighter in the same league. You can make decent recordings with it, but an U87 will beat is easely.

Get an ATA4040 - hands down a very GOOD microphone to use.

selector waxx said:
The U87 is a legendaric mic, but the U87ai isn't the same mic. The sound is rather different due to other components. The NT2000 isn't definitly in the same league. The NT2a is known as a good budget mic, but neighter in the same league. You can make decent recordings with it, but an U87 will beat is easely.

I have a Neumann U87 and a RØDE NT-2

For years, I liked the sound of the NT-2 better than the U87.

I always thought the U87 sounded "wooly"

Every few months I would take out the U87 and give it another try to see if I liked it... but I still always hated it.

Then around 8 months ago, I started liking it for some reason... I have no idea why :)

But for years, I used the NT-2 over the U87 on a daily basis.

Also, if you care... Steven Price (a/k/a "Jacques LuCont" a/k/a "Les Rhythmes Digitales") who recorded and produced Madonna's last album told me personally that all the vocals on that Madonna album were recorded in his bedroom using the RØDE NT-2 and that it is his favorite mic.

Thanks for the replies guys. Dvyce that last bit about Steven Price kinda helped more than you will ever know. I wanted a U87 mainly for its ability to lend some kind of legitimacy to my studio (or any studio it seems), but I am not willing to spend that kind of bread ($2500) for it. Rode seems to offer the next best option at a much cheaper price so I'm gonna go with them.

Back