Need more de essing for mix?

Burdy323

Hey guys, so recently I have been having trouble with a song, but finnally think I got the mix down. However, do you think the de ess for the chorus is enough? Cycle the song is salvation and chorus is at 1:37.
I currently have a de esser on the vox buss (spitfish) with a 5k cut.

Thanks

Last edited:
You could try increasing the reduction slightly, you have very thick S-sounds so they don't sound that harsh, but your F-sounds are a little more harsh.

Yeah, I say cut a bit more. Have you tried using a full-on multiband compressor instead (i know they're usually the same thing). Sometimes, if possible, starting the process again with a different tool can make things just fall into place.

Hard to tell, but the reverb could be making it worse... try EQing the verb, too?

A simple low pass filter at around 4-5k with a gentle slope may help as your vocals don't extend too far up the frequency spectrum. Totally subjective of course, but your vocals do sound a tad 'thin' to me - could do with warming up a bit with a subtle broad boost in the 200 - 400 kHz region maybe? As mentioned by the previous poster - also try the same eq'ing with the reverb. Hope that helps.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll try when I get home.

By the way, just so you get the idea of what I'm running -
Isotope nectar 2 on the individual vocal tracks (indie preset) w/ reacomp running on the buss

Alright, thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll try when I get home.

By the way, just so you get the idea of what I'm running -
Isotope nectar 2 on the individual vocal tracks (indie preset) w/ reacomp running on the buss

Nothing wrong with reacomp - use it all the time - but my fav buss comps are Molot (for dirt) and the TDR feedback compressor for clean compression.

Nothing wrong with reacomp - use it all the time - but my fav buss comps are Molot (for dirt) and the TDR feedback compressor for clean compression.

I'm looking at TDR.. Interesting. Any suggestions for what settings to use for the compressor? I'm absolutely horrendous at setting up compression.

EDIT : Alright, I updated the mix on bandcamp with mainly EQ'ing. Tell me what you guys think.

Also, Im looking to put this on Itunes soon, and want it to be of highest quality possible. Do you guys think the solo sounds (e.g fitting in the mix) for Track 10 (3:05 solo) and 9 (2:38 Solo) are good or need work ?

Last edited:
I'm looking at TDR.. Interesting. Any suggestions for what settings to use for the compressor? I'm absolutely horrendous at setting up compression.

In general, for buss compression, i would start with a ratio of 2:1, a gentle attack setting of around 10 - 30 ms, release around 150 ms. Bring the threshold down until you have 1 - 3 dB of compression going on. The beauty of the TDR compressor is that it's difficult to get it sounding bad(unlike Molot which is a finicky beast)! It's a very 'intelligent' compressor. Probably a good idea to engage the sidechain filter to let through the bass unaffected by the compression but that's totally up to you. Now, once you have this starting point just play around with the attack, release, peak crest and soft knee and hear how it changes the sound. Peak crest - a lower figure will result in more aggressive compression, a higher figure will soften the compression - it's basically equivalent to an RMS setting on other compressors. If things are sounding noticeably squashed you can either back off the compression(lower the threshold) or bring in the original signal with the 'dry mix' knob to compensate.

For vocal buss compression you can go for a higher ratio and lower attack and release settings and probably lower the peak crest to zero to make it respond to peaks promptly - you just have to play around and experiment a bit. Hope that helps :)

In general, for buss compression, i would start with a ratio of 2:1, a gentle attack setting of around 10 - 30 ms, release around 150 ms. Bring the threshold down until you have 1 - 3 dB of compression going on. The beauty of the TDR compressor is that it's difficult to get it sounding bad(unlike Molot which is a finicky beast)! It's a very 'intelligent' compressor. Probably a good idea to engage the sidechain filter to let through the bass unaffected by the compression but that's totally up to you. Now, once you have this starting point just play around with the attack, release, peak crest and soft knee and hear how it changes the sound. Peak crest - a lower figure will result in more aggressive compression, a higher figure will soften the compression - it's basically equivalent to an RMS setting on other compressors. If things are sounding noticeably squashed you can either back off the compression(lower the threshold) or bring in the original signal with the 'dry mix' knob to compensate.

For vocal buss compression you can go for a higher ratio and lower attack and release settings and probably lower the peak crest to zero to make it respond to peaks promptly - you just have to play around and experiment a bit. Hope that helps :)
Thanks man! I'll play around with it my next project.

What you guys think of the new vocal mix? Sound too tinny?

Have you adjusted the eq of the vocal? It does sound a little warmer now if my ears are not deceiving me. I reckon the vocal could do with being a dB or two louder in the verses and if you further reduce the ess's it would be of benefit (they are still a tad distracting imo). What compressor are you using on the vocal? Some comps can make ess's worse (Molot tends to enhance ess's for example as it saturates the signal too).

Back