need help with vocals going into HOT

A

ace1987

I've been recording for almost 5 months now and i'm still trying to figure out how I can just set my mixer to a specific level so i dont have to keep moving the volume level up and down. I currently have a Rode NT-1A condenser mic, an Alesis USB 8 channel mixer, Acid Pro 4.0, and just started using Sound Forge (still learning the basics of it). Is there anyway I can set that up on the Alesis mixer or would I have to work with that on Acid?

No I mean like on the mixer itself. Since the mic is goin through the mixer, I was wonderin how I should level off the EQs on it. Compression: I'm a bit iffy on that. I'm still trying to figure out how to work that. Any tips on that?

I normally dont use comrpression till after its already recorded, because then you can put it on and do comparisons... On your mixer you can set your eq to flat or bypass if you can.. That way once its recorded, you can shape it anyway you like... I hope we are on the same page..

Rule of thumb - EQ and dynamics are used to correct things that weren't ideal in the first place - Mic selection & placement, preamp selection, overall acoustics and of course, performance.

If all these things are in order before the "RECORD" button is pressed, the need for them, or at least the degree they're needed, diminishes dramatically.

:confused:

Layz, thanks for the tip on levelin it off or using bypass, but do you mean like setting all of them to 0 db?

ace1987 said:
:confused:

Layz, thanks for the tip on levelin it off or using bypass, but do you mean like setting all of them to 0 db?

Yes that's exactly what he means.

SP

Back