Need help connecting my external preamp to my Audio interface (Bypassing)

Soho Fresco

tc.jpgtone beast.jpg

I've searched many threads on here and Gearslutz about bypassing and tried following the steps but my daw still won't pick up any sound when my Tone Beast is connected. When I take out the TB and just record with the Twin, I am able to record with Audacity which leads me to believe I am not setting things up right.
I used a TRS to Trs Cable going from the ouput of the beats into the input of the twin. Then I used a XLR to XLR cable going from mic insert on the Beast to the mic. Yet when I press record on Audacity, I get nothing but a blue flat line (unable to record)

I'd appreciate some guidance through this whole bypassing process since it's my first time getting a external pre. The first picture is the audio interface (it's preamps can be bypassed) and the second picture on the right is the external pre.

Last edited:
You want to take that TRS output from your Tone Beast preamp, and run it into the 1/4" / TRS _input_ of the Twin interface (pick a channel; start with "1," I suppose). Then just the outputs as you normally do, and you should be getting signal. make sure that your "gain-staging" (volume settings) is correct. Make sure that your cables are good (trouble-shoot by switching cables; it's one of the simplest things that can go wrong and is often overlooked). Check your manual to make sure that you don't need top do some special internal set-up.

It should work fine.

GJ

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

PS-- BTW, are you going spdif, or light-pipe out, or what?

GJ

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

PPS-- Ah, going back to read your post, if I understand iot correctly, you definitely didn't set up right... You want "line out" to "line in."

GJ

Thanks for the quick response rythm, I'm going to follow those steps. The thing is, the led signals on the beast are working. If I clap , the mic picks it up and the meter on the beast lights up. When I press record on audacity though, I get nothing but a blue flat line. By the way, have you ever used the TB before? I can't lie, I'm excited ....it looks good and comes with a ton of features. I got up at 5 in the morning to try it out lol...

---------- Post added 08-10-2013 at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-09-2013 at 10:24 AM ----------

You want to take that TRS output from your Tone Beast preamp, and run it into the 1/4" / TRS _input_ of the Twin interface (pick a channel; start with "1," I suppose). Then just the outputs as you normally do, and you should be getting signal. make sure that your "gain-staging" (volume settings) is correct. Make sure that your cables are good (trouble-shoot by switching cables; it's one of the simplest things that can go wrong and is often overlooked). Check your manual to make sure that you don't need top do some special internal set-up

It should work fine.

GJ

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

PS-- BTW, are you going spdif, or light-pipe out, or what?

GJ

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

PPS-- Ah, going back to read your post, if I understand iot correctly, you definitely didn't set up right... You want "line out" to "line in."

GJ

Thanks again, I followed your advice and it's working properly now!

The pres in the impact twin are okay for recording but they provides a clean nuetral sound but the Tone is definitely a improvement. I already hear the difference and I didn't even gain stage yet.

So glad it's working, it looks like a cool preamp. I'm not familiar with the Tone Beast; where did you hear about it/find it?

GJ

So glad it's working, it looks like a cool preamp. I'm not familiar with the Tone Beast; where did you hear about it/find it?

GJ

warm.jpg

Thanks again, I heard about it from Gearslutz. It's basically the Warm Audio Wa12 on steroids. I was going to get the Warm Audio Wa12 for 449 but it doesn't come with no LED signals and Hi pass Filter. The Beast comes with all the missing features plus more. The picture shows the 500 rack series for 339 (on the top) and the Warm Audio wa12 on the bottom for 449. You should check them out (including the Beast of course) if you're looking for a external pre. It took me MONTHS of research to finally make my choice, I was almost going to get a Gap 73. If you have any other questions on the Beast, just ask away. I've been using it for a couple days now and would definitely recommend it to a musician that is looking for a pre that is less than $1,000.
[h=1][/h]

Last edited:
Back