Need a couple dB's of extra headroom

Coleman1

Coleman1
Hey guys, so normally when I master I'm always making sure from the start I'll have enough headroom for mastering. This time I semi-mixed as I recorded to now that I've finished mixing, the climax of my track is clipping on the master by just a dB or so. None of the individual tracks/busses are clipping but only the master. Is there another way to lower the master output without having to lower each track individually? Because otherwise I would have to go re-compress every single sound and bus..

you will need to lower each channel as the clipping will still exist whether you turn the master fader down or not

What if I lowered the volume of the master through an EQ? The Fl Studio one allows you to adjust the master volume without affecting the bands

still be the same issue - the clipping is a result of the summing not of the fx/eq/levels you apply - if it is clipped after the summing stage it will still be clipped

Last edited:
Hey guys, so normally when I master I'm always making sure from the start I'll have enough headroom for mastering. This time I semi-mixed as I recorded to now that I've finished mixing, the climax of my track is clipping on the master by just a dB or so. None of the individual tracks/busses are clipping but only the master. Is there another way to lower the master output without having to lower each track individually? Because otherwise I would have to go re-compress every single sound and bus..

Just lower your groups 1db or so, no need to mess with plugins.
Select and Shift + Click the tracks that go to your mix bus, reduce their volume, done.

Last edited:
Back