Need advice for mixing ( kicks and drums)

DJMR7

Hello everyone, I've been making beats for a few years, but I would like to start working on my mixing game, because it really is something that I like to do, but I really don't know where to start. I'll post an instrumental so you guys will understand what I mean

djmr.bandcamp.com/track/church-on-the-run

I would like the kick of that track to have a better ''punch'', by that I mean attack I think. I would like the back voices that i added when the drums start to blend better, to have it's own little palce. I don't really know how I could achieve that, I'm not sure which plugin I should use etc

I'm using Fruity Loops Studio 10. If you want you can browse my bandcamp I uploaded a lot of instrumentals and I probably reapeat the same mistakes over and over again.

I would like to have your opinions on what I should on focus to improve.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. It was your decision to use weak sounds. Why did you? What's the point of using weak kicks (or whatever) at all?

Great music projects definitely don't start with a turd! That's not how it works.

Yes!

For example, when selecting kicks, make sure they really kick! Every later processing can only weaken the impact, emotion and quality of a sound.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer. I have another question. I searched the forum a little and found free drum kits that I will try as soon as possible. However, most of the time I use a break and I add let's say another snare on top. My orignial question was a little bit too vague I think. For the instrumental I linked, I used a very popular break but it doesn't sound as ''fat'' as I would like. I don't think it's because the sample is weak, it's been used countless times (Detroit Emeralds - You're getting a little too smart). I like the way producers in 90's hip hop sampled breaks but tweaked the sounds to make them ''snappier'' (exemple DJ Premier, Tribe Called Quest etc) What I'm asking basically is: Is there any kind of tutorial or general tips when it comes to making your own drum kit?

Nice track was loving it. Just like moses was saying it starts with good kick samples, As far as making your own kit, i've heard thats a good route to go, im not to familiar with making your own tht much, I usually just go n buy some high quality samples off the net. Pretty sure if you do sum searching on here there's post abt making your own kits. But as far as getting tht kick to have a lil more punch, since you are using low quality then, I suggest turning everything else down a notch, except the kick. And use your ears to level (volume).

Back