My Studio Set-Up (Still Learning)

@statixx Do you think I need a preamp to add to the the Fast Track Pro? I really want a good clean vocal track. I have this set-up to of course record myself and a couple of people I know. I have this vocal booth with this foam sitting on the frame but I just really want to get a good sound. I also got the Reflextion filter because I thought it would help!

dc are you gonna be recording anything except your own voice? are you gonna record a band or mic up a drum kit? if your only recording your voice.....you DO NOT need a mixer! .....no offense too the guy who said you needed the mixer and that you need a diffrent interface and all that....i would roll with what everyone else said first before i though about a mixer and all that.

your too easily caught up in the hype......thinkn you need a vocal booth and a mixer.....your thinkning what cosmetically looks cool.....and not what truely
sounds good for ur budget!

sorry but i just had to come back to this post. Recording a band? really? with an 8 track mixer (with only 2 preamps??)? what bands are you recording that only need 8 tracks (only two of them being microphones)? I'm suggesting the mixer because

A: i use it, and in my opinion, the ONYX preamps are way better than the presonus bluetube (solid state) (i've used them both)

B: If you don't think A/D conversion is important, you are sadly mistaken. And the fast track pro is a terrible interface to be using. It's for beginners. Running a fancy preamp thru that is not going to work miracles to make your sound better. If you don't believe me, try it.

C: I am a firm believer in never buying something "just for now" - having an analog mixer (forgetting the superior a/d conversion to the fast track, and the good quality preamps) is a clear advantage, even to a solo musician. Again, if you actually read what i said in my previous post, what if this man has an electric guitar or bass? what if he purchases a keyboard? What if he wants to record more than just one thing?

D: I don't track bands. But i have an onyx 1220i and EVERY TRACK is taken up. 2 preamp tracks are being used by microphones (depending on which mic i'm using) 2 preamp tracks are being used by my Yamaha Motif RACK ES assignable outputs - 2 stereo tracks are being used by the motif RACK ES' main and assignable outputs, and the last 2 are outputs from my MPC2000XL.

Can you really tell me that purchase was a waste because i'm not tracking bands? And that i've only purchased it for aesthetic purposes?

Let's be serious.

sorry but i just had to come back to this post. Recording a band? really? with an 8 track mixer (with only 2 preamps??)? what bands are you recording that only need 8 tracks (only two of them being microphones)? I'm suggesting the mixer because

A: i use it, and in my opinion, the ONYX preamps are way better than the presonus bluetube (solid state) (i've used them both)

B: If you don't think A/D conversion is important, you are sadly mistaken. And the fast track pro is a terrible interface to be using. It's for beginners. Running a fancy preamp thru that is not going to work miracles to make your sound better. If you don't believe me, try it.

C: I am a firm believer in never buying something "just for now" - having an analog mixer (forgetting the superior a/d conversion to the fast track, and the good quality preamps) is a clear advantage, even to a solo musician. Again, if you actually read what i said in my previous post, what if this man has an electric guitar or bass? what if he purchases a keyboard? What if he wants to record more than just one thing?

D: I don't track bands. But i have an onyx 1220i and EVERY TRACK is taken up. 2 preamp tracks are being used by microphones (depending on which mic i'm using) 2 preamp tracks are being used by my Yamaha Motif RACK ES assignable outputs - 2 stereo tracks are being used by the motif RACK ES' main and assignable outputs, and the last 2 are outputs from my MPC2000XL.

Can you really tell me that purchase was a waste because i'm not tracking bands? And that i've only purchased it for aesthetic purposes?

Let's be serious.

A. And I'm sure my $470 Auteur sounds LOADS better than any presonus or mackie onxy preamp.

B. Of course conversion is important, but I'm sure the converters on that mackie aren't much better than that FTP ones. So unless he has the money for a Pro Tools HD system or some Aurora converters, he needs not worry about that right now.

C. Sure, its great to have something like that if you ever want to expand your setup, but from what he says all he wants to do is vocals. And besides, he's already selling the mixer he has.

D. Same as point C.

So yeah a mixer works perfectly for your purposes, but don't recommend something you like to someone else just because it works for you.

99% of the time, people that buy mixers for studio use have little to no idea what they are even used for.

Mixers are out-dated and the only pro's using them have expensive large format consoles.

i totally didnt feel like arguing but i was gonna say exactly that.

mixers are vintage unless your like a big time pro and you have a nice ssl console or something.

ITB mixers today are very powerful with the right interface

looks cool. i dont quite understand tho is it a vst or is it like hardware that syncs with a vst?

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

nvm i see at the bottom it says vst

Last edited:
Should I get a Mackie Onyx 820i or ART Pro MPAII Microphone Preamplifier

I really would love to mix on a board and mix in the box sometimes. I need to make a decision today. What would you do? Get a board or preamp.

Again here is what I'm working with:

M-Audio Fast Track Pro

M-Audio BX8 Monitors

Samson RH600 Headphones

M-Powered ProTools 8

Eurorack MX2004A Mixer (I don't use)

Windows XP Home Edition PC (I installed 2GB)

1TB External Drive (I save my sessions here)

Yamaha General MIDI Keyboard (use as a controller)

Samson C01 Studio Condenser mic

SE Mic Reflexion Filter

AKG Perfection 420 Mic

DBX 166XL Compressor/Limiter

im curious to know... what did you deside to use use? how did it sound? Are you satisfied? i thinking of buying a mic pre myself. this will really help me decide

Back