my recordings only coming out of 1 ear

Steelersrule

what up guys,

I have an SM7 mic, i have a cable (XLR coming out of the mic to a 1/4 inch mono) going from the mic to the output of my preamp. on the input of the preamp, i have stereo 1/4 going in and that leads to 2 mono rca cables going into the input of my behringer uca202 USB audio interface. i have that going into ableton live 7. i can hear everything in ableton and it's pretty clear, but i can only hear it out of the left speaker. i either wanna know how i can:
1. use ableton to make the sound come out of both sides
2. fix my setup so it's working right and i can hear it out of both sides

if anybody could help me out with that i would really appreciate it. thanks

It is working right. Change your track to mono and you'll hear the mic in the center.

yep... im pretty sure all mics are mono, arent they... you use mics positioned in different places to pick up the stereo field, correct me if im wrong please... this is from memory of a class two semesters ago lol

what up guys,

I have an SM7 mic, i have a cable (XLR coming out of the mic to a 1/4 inch mono) going from the mic to the output of my preamp. on the input of the preamp, i have stereo 1/4 going in and that leads to 2 mono rca cables going into the input of my behringer uca202 USB audio interface. i have that going into ableton live 7. i can hear everything in ableton and it's pretty clear, but i can only hear it out of the left speaker. i either wanna know how i can:
1. use ableton to make the sound come out of both sides
2. fix my setup so it's working right and i can hear it out of both sides

if anybody could help me out with that i would really appreciate it. thanks

First you have everything listed wrong.

The mic cable goes from the mic to the mic pre INPUT. All XLR cables are mono. You need a XLR to TRS cable to connect your mic to the mic pre INPUT.
Then you need a TRS to RCA cable to go from the mic pre OUTPUT to the Behringer UCA202 input.

You really should get a soundcard that accepts 1/4 inputs such as the M-Audio Fasttrack for $99. It's worth the upgrade.

Things you need to know: A TRS cable looks like a stereo cable but isn't. It actually is a balanced mono cable.

You need to tell us everything that you are using.
Mic: The correct model number unless you have a $350 SM7 running to a $30 soundcard. You probably have a SM57.
Mic pre: so we know what the options are.

After all that just record to a MONO channel with the input set to the same input that your mic is hooked to and bam!

thanks guys, it was just that I needed to switch Ableton to mono. And yes, it is an SM57, that was a typo. My preamp is an ART tube MP Studio, just so you know.

And I'm sorry for getting input and output switched up, this is obviously my first time working with recording equipment. I definitely want to upgrade on the Behringer, I just don't have the money right now, but I'll keep the M-Audio fast track in mind for when I get the money.

Morning_Star, it seems like using 1/4 stereo cables to plug into my preamp (there are options for both an XLR slot and a 1/4 slot for both input and output) is working, are you sure I need a TRS cable or is it just that it would give me better quality?

I have the same mic pre that I got for free when G.C. owed me money.

You need a XLR cable. Use the XLR input. Make sure you have the +20db button pressed in. Leave the other buttons out. Start with the knobs both pointing straight up and adjust a little on each one from there. The meter should never go in the red.

First thing is buying a new interface though. The Fasttrack is the cheapest I would use. Try to get the Fasttrack Pro or Audiophile 192.

you are mono
your mic is mono
track shall be mono

</end>??==

morning_star, thanks for the tips with the preamp. everything is working for me right now, except i'm having latency issues. i heard that it's a problem that comes from the usb interface, so how would i go about fixing that (the manual is pretty useless) because i can't play on time at all? oh, btw i'm looking to upgrade from the behringer, but right now i don't have the funds yet. thanks.

morning_star, thanks for the tips with the preamp. everything is working for me right now, except i'm having latency issues. i heard that it's a problem that comes from the usb interface, so how would i go about fixing that (the manual is pretty useless) because i can't play on time at all? oh, btw i'm looking to upgrade from the behringer, but right now i don't have the funds yet. thanks.

Go into the preferences of the software and click on the control panel button where you select your interface for audio. Make sure you have the ASIO driver selected then adjust the buffer settings to 512 and see if you get crackling and popping. If not, you are good to go, if yes, you need to make your buffer setting higher.

Back