My drums hitting too hard....

Gluee

What's up guys!
Lately i been noticing that my drums are WAY too punchy IMHO.
Whenever i listen production by The Alchemist (for example Covert Coup or Albert Einstein mixtapes), Kanye's MBDTF or any other profesinally mixed hip hop track, their kicks sound really full but are way softer than mines are. I attached a couple examples.
I need help achieving more of softer sound on my drums but have no idea on where to start.
Songs i refer to are Kanye's -Devil In A New Dress, So Appalled and Curren$y's - Success If My Cologne, Scottie Pippen (i understand my beats are different type from these but still).

Last edited:
The first 2 things that came to mind are:

1: Apply compression and try to smoothen out the transients using a quick attacktime. Be careful though as you might go too far and make it sound weak. Same thing can be done using a transient designer and lower the transient level and maybe boost the sustain level.

2: Use EQ to subtract the initial attacking frequency in the bass a little (also if there's a very attacking frequency somewhere else in the spectrum), and boost a little at the frequencies in the release (going too far will make it sounding like it's off-beat) if it doesn't sound too bassy. Do this by applying a little narrower boost and sweep it through the spectrum and find the attackspots and the release-area by ear (looking at the spectrum can be helpful too, but remember it's alla about what you hear). Further on, the 2-3 khz area and some areas in the treble can make it very snappy/punchy, so try subtrackting it there too and see if it helps.

Those drums sound good..REALLY nice.

If you want your drums softer, just mix them lower with the rest of the instruments/sample. If they still punch too hard, maybe cut the low-end with EQ, but really just turning the drums down in the mix would probably do

I've never used compression in my life.

You already got some great tips above.

But i think you're overthinkin right now, your drums fits nicely in the mix.

Dude so many producers would kill to have punchy drums and I get records all the time where I have to figure out how to add punch. I wouldn't mess around with them because they sound dope. You were probably listening to lower quality sound files which sometimes can dull out tracks.

But the best way to dull out a kick is to choose a less punchy sample or you could try using a transient designer to soften the peaks. That would probably work better than a compressor and less damaging IMO.

Back