My Beats sound flat and 2 dimensional... how to improve my Mix?

rikicapo

Hi. Iv been told my beats sound very amateurish due to the fact that they sound flat and 2 dimensional.
That means my mixing chops are in pretty bad shape...
I would be thankful if you guys told me how to better my mixes...
thanks in advance

Some people say that too much compression and/or clipping can flatten out a mix's stereo depth. I tend to agree with that.

It helps to use a variety of effects and to use different stuff on the left channel than the right channel. (Auto-)panning each instrument helps tremendously.

When using effects such as reverb and delay it can help to not use them on everything and not use them all the time in a song, but alternate between sections.

I hope this helps some.

im lazy give me a direct link ........... ^^^ i dont know about the info but you are probally the nicest guy i have seen on here.

^^^ You're just saying that because of his avatar lol

Ok you got me lol but i see him saying thank you and please alot as well.

we just hi jacked the crap out of dudes thread lol sorry buddy ....

lol yeah man didn't even notice haha sorry to the OP ,, some mod delete the posts if you want to keep it clean...

Yeah - reverb can add some depth but be careful with it - also there's a nice free plugin called upstereo (google it) that makes your track more 3D.

thanks for the reply, but what I was asking was some kind of personlized help... I already know the stuff you guys mentioned... about reverb, panning, eqing, etc.
I apply those to my mixing... but some people say that the beats sound flat and 2 dimensional...
I was wondering if you guys could listen and tell me specifically... what I can fix to make it sound better.
The link is on my signature. Thanks guys

well i dont know what software you are using, but when i started using Reason 3 when they introduced the Masterclass effects, they had a limiter on by default and i didnt realize that for awhile then one i day i hated how the beats were sounding so i played around, ended up turning off the limiter just doing some comp and it sounded 10 times better, so hope that helps man, good luck

I sometimes used a combination of 1-4 different Kick Samples..Then tweak on the parameters at the same time using my ears cause I know how the Kicks sound today in music....Punchy...and Smooth...Never Sharp...

Sometimes I sit hours after hours playing with Kicks Sample Patches Combined ....another way I just learn today that you can add punch to yo sound Send a Chorus/Flanger On the Kicks...This makes it more Punchy In Reason for me today....

Im learning justt like you Pimp....But I still try to help sometimes..

Doubling up the Kicks Sample is also a Good Way...Try Putting just the kick on a seperated track....and what about overdubbing Kicks....same as Layering I guess....TRy these....B.K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back