MXL 990 or Shure SM57/58?

De Dokter

Half Dutchman
Hey everyone, I was wondering if you can help me with this dilemma!

I am planning on buying my first Mic. but I don't really know which one to buy.. There are so many. I did some research and the MXL 990 and the Shure SM57/58 were the mics I ended up with. Now, my question for you to answer is, which one should I buy?

It will be used for recording rap vocals and maybe singing. (Maybe acoustic guitar too).

If you know any other good mic, please tell me but make sure it's not more than 100 dollars or so.

Thanks in advance :)

Dorian/De Dokter

edit: sorry if a similar post has been made before, I forgot to use the search button ._.

Last edited:
As MS said, you need a pre-amp too if you want a capacitor mic like the MXL 990 and I'm guessing you haven't got one.

But as for the mics themselves, 'studio' capacitor mics tend to beat dynamic microphones like the SM58, even though the Shure mic is a world standard in live sound. So I'm guessing the 990 would be better for you, if you can get your hands on a good pre.

The SM58 will probably be best for you, since you need flexibility and are new to microphones. It's a perfect mic for learning with. Plus, it's the kind of mic you'll never stop using. Your first one will be in your mic cabinet for the rest of your life, provided it doesn't break.

Since you're talking about rap vocals, I definitely think the 58 would be better suited for the tasks you mention. If you were doing quiet breath heavy singing, then maybe the 57, but for typical male rap vocals I think the 58 will be easier to work with. Although, a lot of great albums have been recorded solely with 57s.

But the MXL is a good mic. I just think starting with the basic everyman mic is a better idea.

Thanks everyone for your replies. About the preamp, I was thinking about getting a M-Audio Fast track (pro) (at least one with Phantom power for if I ever bought a Condenser mic if I wouldn't do so now). I also got a mic. plug line in in my mixer.

edit:

So the SM58 does give the same quality for vocals as the MXL, it doesn't sound cheap or empty?

Last edited:
So the SM58 does give the same quality for vocals as the MXL, it doesn't sound cheap or empty?

That's kind of a trick question. They're different qualities. Both are more than capable of being used in, and have in fact been used in professional recordings. The MXL is most likely a "better" mic, but who knows, you might end up preferring the sound of the 58 on your voice. And then some friend will come over, and he'll sound best through the MXL. I simply think that you'll get more mileage out of the 58 because it's probably a little more capable of handling the multiple tasks you need it for. And really, that might just be because the SM57/58s are very familiar to most listeners (I'd wager that something like 75% of electric guitars you've ever heard were recorded with a 57) so you'll probably be more immediately pleased with its results.

The 58 will sound as good as the performer and the audio chain (pres, AD/DA converters, effects, etc) will allow it to be. Some singers have their own 58s, sometimes modded (very easy mics to play with if you're inclined to modding your equipment), and swear by them. The 58/57 have been used in so many recordings that most listeners instantly accept their sound as "right".

EDIT: Missed your question: No, the 58 does not sound empty. It's one hell of a mic. I live in NYC, and every single venue I go to has a slew of them to mic everything from guitars to keys to all the different drums to vocals. They're not studio masterworks, but they sure as hell get the job done. Hell, the president speaks through an SM57 when he addresses the nation. Surely it's good enough for a home studio. Like I said, the SM series is probably the most recognizable mic sound on the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sm58 all the way

if you are buying your first mic, then you probably dont have much knowledge yet or know what preferences you have in terms of sonic capabilities. then hands down roll with the SM58 strictly based on versatility. for the money (under 100 bucks) its best used for stage work and not the studio, but if you dont even know what a mic pre is, then stick with the SM58 because its dynamic and you wont need phantom power. SM58-best mic to learn the trade with and its damn near indestrucable. been using the same SM58 for all ym stage shows for 5 years and it still looks and sounds like the day i bought it.

The MXL 990 is one of the worst mics ever made. Very brittle and harsh. Get the MXL v63 and save up for the Oktavamod for it. The mic is cheap enough to get now and then the mod isn't expensive either giving you a $500+ mic for under $300.

Thanks a lot Hosey and kenpulido! You gave me all the info I needed so I'm on my way to order the SM58.

:cheers:

edit: didn't see your post Star since it was made while I was writing my reply :) I might do that a little later but for the moment I think I will only get me the sm 58 :) thanks though

Last edited:
The MXL 990 is one of the worst mics ever made.
One of the reasons for this is, people don't realize that it is a bad emulation of Neumann KM84! Yes, open it up and you will see that it is a small diaphragm microphone. The capsule is mounted in a very poor way which causes edge diffractions to smear imaging and disturb time domain performance.

Everyone whose been around knows these things are siblant as HELL. Mike Joly says,
"[The] "S" sounds become sibilant and begin to take on the dreaded "esh" sound. This "eshiness" is compounded by a very closed headbasket (three grille layers) and tight capsule diaphragm mesh."
This mic is the worst mic money can buy without one of Mike Joly's mods it's pretty much useless. An SM58 and SM57 - though extremely different from each other - are usable for more than just instruments.

Seems Mr Jolly disagrees somewhat with what has been posted , it is an SDC , but remove the headbasket and it is pretty good for the money.
What's the disagreement? That it is pretty good for the money? That's debatable, especially considering its the most freely distributed microphone with low budget gear that we've seen over the past 10 years. But anyway, I have a Joly mod on an MXL 990 and it is now a decent microphone IMHO.

EDIT: just as long as it's used in a proper application for an Small Diaphragm Condenser.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cosign the SM58 unless you already have a great pre and decent room treatment, you won't get a better sound on a novice level. The MXL990 has a "sound" that can fit well into certain recording situations. But when getting started you want an adaptive mic, not something that sounds good under detailed circumstances.

I'm sure I'll get my head chewed off for this suggestion, but another oprtion is a USB Mic. There are a few options out there, and the built in amps/plug and play option leaves no room for error. Average beginner will get a better sound using that than a good chain that they can still screw up.

I cosign the SM58 unless you already have a great pre and decent room treatment, you won't get a better sound on a novice level. The MXL990 has a "sound" that can fit well into certain recording situations. But when getting started you want an adaptive mic, not something that sounds good under detailed circumstances.

I'm sure I'll get my head chewed off for this suggestion, but another oprtion is a USB Mic. There are a few options out there, and the built in amps/plug and play option leaves no room for error. Average beginner will get a better sound using that than a good chain that they can still screw up.
Thanks for your reply :) I got no studio environment (sound proof walls and stuff), I got just my room. I don't think I'm getting a USB mic since I heard some bad stuff about those (drivers, delay and such), also I might not spend any money on a new mic anytime soon after I bought my first mic so I might as well buy one I might struggle with in the beginning than a 'starters' mic. Also I like analog signals more than digital, idk why lol. Thanks alot for your reply :cheers:

I have an old MXL 990 I bought a few years ago, it served its purpose but does require sound treatment and some eqing to get a decent sound from it. And if you do get it, don't make the age old mistake of trying to record into the wrong side >_<.

I didn't think about recording with the headbasket off of it. Thats the part around the capsule (grille) that you can unscrew with your hand, right? Or is it inside of the grille?

Thanks for your reply :) I got no studio environment (sound proof walls and stuff), I got just my room. I don't think I'm getting a USB mic since I heard some bad stuff about those (drivers, delay and such), also I might not spend any money on a new mic anytime soon after I bought my first mic so I might as well buy one I might struggle with in the beginning than a 'starters' mic. Also I like analog signals more than digital, idk why lol. Thanks alot for your reply :cheers:

Not arguing, just adressing.

If you like an analog signal, you won't get any more of one running a mic to your computer through a usb interface like the M-Audio.

M-Audio interfaces can hiccup and delay just like a USB mic, so can an M-Box.

You absolutely want a starter mic if you don't plan on buying again anytime soon. Better to have 6/10 quality out the box than 2/10 quality until you proof your room, do noise treatment to your computer, find the right space and angles to record from, right Preamp to color it to fit the sound you want, ect. only to find out your "more professional" mic only sounds good on your background vocals, or only works well for bringing out tenor singers in your enviroment.

Again, my advice, take it or leave it, go with a USB Mic, or an SM57/58 unless you plan to drop at least a good $500-600 on an amp, mic, and treatment to begin with. If not, you'll get a "cool mic(lol @ thinking that of an MXL990 anyway)" to put in an enviroment to sound like crap. Versus a not so cool mic that fits your needs perfectly.

Back