Multitrack Software or Hardware??

DJ_Kalm-plex

I'm looking into purchasing something to do multitrack recording with. I have a AMD 1.4Ghz computer. I don't know wether to go with software or purchase a hard disk recorder. I'm looking for the best way to do it and of course cheapest. Thanks for the help!

Kalmplex

1.4G ..... Like 1.4 Gigabyte harddrive?..

if that is the size.. i would suggest getting hardware.. or more space... becasue audio files are REALLY BIG.. I'm defragmenting my audio computer right now.. I havea 18Gig harddrive.. and i was down to almost nothing... and i never even noticed!.. I totally reformated my computer in May....

how many tracks u wanna record (in total/at once)? do you want to be able to use softsynths/samplers too?

Last edited by a moderator:
personally id would go with the software. i like to be able to actually see all of my audio tracks laid out and the such. but if you all about the pysical touch and turning knobs and pushing buttons. then obviosuly hardware is your choice. the software will most likely also be cheaper

Personnaly I don't like Cakewalk, it looks like a toy compared to other multitracker/sequencers.
For audio multitracking i think you should go for Nuendo or Logic Audio, they are the best. And to chose between these two soft, I'd go for Logic. I already used it, it is too complicated but it is great. You have full control over everything plus a variaty of powerful plugins.
Now there is cubase sx, but nobody gave any feedback about it.

if you're using a PC, don't use Logic. i'm not dissing the program, it's just that Apple have just bought Emagic who make it, and they are ceasing PC development of Logic - so no more new versions after 5.2.

a sad day......

but what the hey, i've been a cubase user for years!

cubase SX by all accounts is supposed to be great - i havent' tryed it yet, cos it only runs on Win2000 and XP. gonna reformat tonite tho and give it a try.

If its just audio rec,i would go for pro-tools,u can build up a quite stable hardware/software recording station with it,being fully upgradeable up to ya money.

If instead you need to control midi devices,i`d choose Logic.

I am not a big fan of cakewalk,and cubase.

hardware or software huh? it depends on what you feel more comfortable with. hardware is expensive but since you already own a PC, it'll be cheaper if you go the software route. I have heard that logic is a hard program to learn, cubase is good, but sonar is easy to pick up, and is now full fledged multitrack/sequencer. If you really want to go big time, you can get pro tools also if you have the money. peace

krisis9-----

if you are looking to do midi, don't bother with protools. midi support "blows" in it. Also the hardware can be expensive...you can go with the digi001 or the Mbox (as they are designed as entry level units). It you want to take protools for a spin they have a free download of Protools (8 channel maximum) that to my knowledge never expires. would be a nice way to try it out.

Logic is great for midi, but as stated, apple have purchased Emagic and as of the release of 5.2 there will be no more releases, bugfixes, etc etc etc for windows. so if you want software that will continue being supported and developed, skip it.

I personally use Cubase on my mac, but if i were to use a PC i'd be all over Cubase. The next "point release" should bring with it VST System Link, so later on down the road when you need a computer with more punch, you dont' have to ditch the old one...you'll be able to load balance between the two. SX is based on the nuendo audio engine and i've heard that audio editing is leaps and bounds beyond the "minimalistic" implimentation in 5.x (VST/32). Steinberg should have demo's posted. if you want to try out SX.

I've never used Sonar. i tried Cakewalk years ago and i just couldn't get into it. cubase has always been much more logical to me. [shrugs]

as for hardware multitrack recording, ummm, if you enjoy little lcds for editing, have at it....otherwise be prepared to pay out some $$$ for the nicer units. i've personally always been a big fan of the Roland VS systems. you could probably find a used VS840 or VS880 on ebay for fairly cheap.

as for $$$$: Cubase SX i think is $699, audio interfaces for a computer range from about $300 up to...well a lot, Roland VS840's i think are selling used for around $400ish, it's all a matter of what interface will be the most comfortable for you in terms of working with audio. i like a nice mix of hardware (synths, samplers, analog console, hardware fx, etc) and software (Cubase, Rebirth, etc)

good luck.

helpermonkey said:
cubase SX by all accounts is supposed to be great - i havent' tryed it yet, cos it only runs on Win2000 and XP. gonna reformat tonite tho and give it a try.

I tried SX on my Win98 setup, and it works like a breeze. I've heard numerous reports from others it didn't work, and even the manual states it's written for 2k or XP.
No problems here.

Back